Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,887   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad Focusing Screen

I have recently got hold of a Hasselblad 501cm which came with a Acute Matte D 42215 focusing screen. It was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it with Lens cleaner. I had not noted that these things are made of acrylic and should not come in contact with alcohol. Now, that I have done it already, how to determine if I had damaged it ?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How does it look when you put it back into the camera? How is the viewing? How is the focusing?
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't make out any difference, other than it's cleaner. And as far as I can say, my focus is accurate on the film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any lens cleaner I ever knew of doesn't have any alcohol. But don't be cleaning it any more than you have to, and use Q-tips so you don't scratch it. I don't think you harmed anything.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As long as it is not scratched and there arenīt any milky/cloudy residuals on it, I donīt think you should bother. But I would not do it again either...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    As long as it is not scratched and there arenīt any milky/cloudy residuals on it, I donīt think you should bother. But I would not do it again either...
    Now that you say, holding the focusing screen to light at an angle does seem to have some cloudy stuff on the shiny side. This time I tried to wipe it off with a lint free microfiber damped with distilled water, but it does not go. There is no major scratch I can see though, just a few very very faint hairlines.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterboy View Post
    Now that you say, holding the focusing screen to light at an angle does seem to have some cloudy stuff on the shiny side. This time I tried to wipe it off with a lint free microfiber damped with distilled water, but it does not go. There is no major scratch I can see though, just a few very very faint hairlines.
    No stop while you are ahead it won't show on photos.
    The plastic is soft, it will scratch, you don't need to use a dremel.
    If it gets dusty in future only use a bulb blower on it.
    The same is true of the mirror... don't clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very well, makes sense...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hasselblad acute matte screens are made with 2 layers, the top on is a glass cover, the bottom is the acrylic accute matte screen with the focus aids (if present). The top glass pretects the screen and allows you to tape, draw marks, and clean the dust off without damaging any soft plastic.

The disadvantage with this design is if you use a cleaning fluid, it can get drawn between the 2 layers, and leave behind a residue. If this happens, you either just live with it, or dismantle the screen and clean it - being careful not to damage the softer plastic lower layer. Dismantling the screen is not for the squimish - it is easy to scratch or damage the bottom plastic layer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    Hasselblad acute matte screens are made with 2 layers, the top on is a glass cover, the bottom is the acrylic accute matte screen with the focus aids (if present).
    Fucking awesome!! But seriously, I am done with trying out anything other than distilled water soaked in a lint free cloth squeezed to *almost* dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin