Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,217   Online: 825

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1st shot- looks OK to me. You're not going to get punchy images in those lighting conditions and at wide apertures.

2nd shot- a little missed focus and/or you need a little more stopping down of the lens. You have the focus on his chin and sun glasses. Half of his shirt looks nice and contrasty though, not so much the part that is further back. At wide apertures this is acceptable, but it gets borderline in the face. It's a good image, but me, I would want the front of the the face to be fully in focus on a portrait, so maybe one more stop of aperture.

3rd shot- looks like a little bit of missed focus again, not enough stopping down, along w/ flare from back lighting. No punch to be found there. You are using a good hood, right? I always use a yellow filter w/ Tri-X in all my cameras to get that added contrast, and to lower the skies' brightness. Notice what is in focus from the grass at his feet, and what isn't.

Focusing TLRs w/ the little magnifiers takes some practice. Or, get better light and stop it down. Remember, a medium format camera has a LOT less DOF wide open than 35mm. Small cleaning marks on the front of a lens usually have no effect on anything. If there's a lot you will get less contrast, but that can easily be addressed in developing, using filters in good light, or on the printing end.
    Last edited by momus; 04-18-2014 at 12:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    raj82,
    You're hooked now! Most folks don't or can't afford to start out with a Rollei as their intro film camera. I think I understand your worry, but from the looks of your lens picture you'll have nothing to worry about. Now, on the other hand, if you paid top dollar, premium collector price for your Rollei I'd then contact the seller. Otherwise I'd just enjoy it and know you shouldn't have a problem for a long ways down the road since Harry went over it. I took two of my Rollei's for a walk this morning. JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen far worse lenses giving good images. That one looks pretty good.

The third picture looks like pretty flat light, that would account for lack of contrast too. Don't notice any shadows to speak of.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    raj82,
    You're hooked now! Most folks don't or can't afford to start out with a Rollei as their intro film camera. I think I understand your worry, but from the looks of your lens picture you'll have nothing to worry about. Now, on the other hand, if you paid top dollar, premium collector price for your Rollei I'd then contact the seller. Otherwise I'd just enjoy it and know you shouldn't have a problem for a long ways down the road since Harry went over it. I took two of my Rollei's for a walk this morning. JW
    I definitely am hooked! But this isn't my first film camera. I have a Hasselblad that I don't shoot with often because I don't own a lens and renting one is a pain. I also have a Contax T3.

This is just my favorite film camera. I definitely didn't pay top dollar, I got a pretty good deal on it (I think). Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A Hassy with no lens is like a beautiful girlfriend with no sex drive! GET A LENS! You should be able to pickup a cheap 80mm Planar for it if you watch the auction sites. I just bought a real pretty chrome "T" star (no scratches) off eBay for $225.00. I didn't really need it that bad, but it's now mounted on an older ELX. Back to your Rollei lens.....I think you'll be happy with your results when you get used to using it. Truthfully, I really can't see any difference between my Rollei shots and my Hasselblad shots. My old 500C with the 80mm lens isn't that much bigger than my Rollei 3.5F and it gives me interchangeable backs to boot. So, most of the time I take my Hasselblad on trips instead of any of my Rolleis. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Still, I won't part with a couple of my Rolleiflex's. JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    A Hassy with no lens is like a beautiful girlfriend with no sex drive! GET A LENS! You should be able to pickup a cheap 80mm Planar for it if you watch the auction sites. I just bought a real pretty chrome "T" star (no scratches) off eBay for $225.00. I didn't really need it that bad, but it's now mounted on an older ELX. Back to your Rollei lens.....I think you'll be happy with your results when you get used to using it. Truthfully, I really can't see any difference between my Rollei shots and my Hasselblad shots. My old 500C with the 80mm lens isn't that much bigger than my Rollei 3.5F and it gives me interchangeable backs to boot. So, most of the time I take my Hasselblad on trips instead of any of my Rolleis. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Still, I won't part with a couple of my Rolleiflex's. JW
    One of the reasons I enjoy the Rolleiflex over the Hasselblad is because of the quietness. Since there's no mirror to slap up, I can take photos without drawing too much attention to myself and at a slower speed to boot.

The other big reason is the exact opposite of what you like. When I have a full system, I'm constantly thinking about which lens I should bring, which back I should bring so I can have my choice of color or black and white film. If I don't have the choices as I don't with the Rollei, my thought process is "Well, this is all I have, I have to make it work." The lack of choices are freeing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raj82 View Post
    If I don't have the choices as I don't with the Rollei, my thought process is "Well, this is all I have, I have to make it work." The lack of choices are freeing.
    To see a great body of work created with just the standard focal length of the Rolleiflex, look up John Gay, in particular, his book England Observed.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    To see a great body of work created with just the standard focal length of the Rolleiflex, look up John Gay, in particular, his book England Observed.

Steve.
    Steve,

Thank you for sharing. That looks to be some amazing work! I love finding work like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin