Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,684   Online: 730

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Ikon Ikonta 521/2c

Hi all

Just purchased an Ikon folding camera 6x9, 10.5cm F3.5 Novar lens with a Compur shutter 1/400 max speed plus B serial number G51773. Anyone out there tell me about this camera, age, any good etc. Also what filter and lens hood size?

Regards

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent cameras if the bellows are still light proof. It is a good idea to give the inside a good cleaning with a blower and expect your first film to come out with dust specks on it - winding the film causes a small amount of static to appear on the film and this will attract all the dust you leave in the film chamber. I find the second film comes out quite clean.

Pedantic note: it is a Zeiss Ikon Ikonta, rather than an Ikon Ikonta - Zeiss make lenses, Zeiss Ikon made cameras.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zeiss Ikon was owned by Zeiss and included a optical works (Goertz).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. Rather than a blower, I would use a vacuum with the suction reduced as blowing may just move the dust to a new location. Should be a really nice picture taking machine as long as the bellows, shutter, lens are in good shape. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys, couple of useful tips, can anyone help re filter/hood size?

Regards

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    The presence of a flash sync contact would indicate a later date. There are lists online that you can check against the lens serial number as well. Google it. Check bellow integrity and perhaps shutter speeds. The latter is not necessary and you can more or less assume that slower speeds are sticky. Mine are around 25% slower than marked. These are excellent cameras if in decent condition. You can't beat the portability nor the massive amount of charm it carries. I have a 3.5 Novar as well. Stopped down it's plenty sharp and wide open it has a lovely, swirly bokeh. The harder you press it with tricky conditions (i.e. poor light, shooting at the sun etc.) the more vintage your negs will come out. This can be good or bad depending on your artistic sensibilities.
    Last edited by Sibben; 04-22-2014 at 03:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Sibben,

Planning to put a roll of film through tomorrow to see how I g on with it.Do you use a lens hood or filters ? I've read online that you do need a hood and B+W better if you control contrast with suitable filters? Is this your experience?

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's probably better that you don't use any filters for your first roll since you have no idea how accurate the shutter is. I'd wait to see how that roll turns out. There really isn't all that much need for filters, anyway. It will take very nice B&W as it is. For example, http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=44242 There are some color shots in my images, too. That being said however, I have found a sweet spot using tmax 400 with a red filter to get the speed down to my Ikota's max 1/250 speed.

It will use the old style "series" filters, which drop into an adapter ring which then is either inserted into a circular slot on the end of the lens, or slipped around the perimeter of the lens. I'm not exactly sure, but do believe that the 105mm uses Series VI (41.3mm diameter). It could be the next size, fittingly enough called Series VII (50.8). The diameter does NOT equate to the lens like a modern screw-on filter. What matters is the holder that fits into the little slot or around the lens. This adaptor can also work as a hood, which your uncoated lens will need. Or don't point it anywhere near the sun.

Oh, and have a lot of fun with that camera. These old folders are just wonderful.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 04-23-2014 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm
    It has to be impossible to find the kind of portability and neg size in anything other than the old 6x9 folders. A neg that is just about big enough for respectable contact prints and will enlarge to not far short of a 5x4 unless the enlargement is way beyond what most users want to use.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon202 View Post
    Thanks Sibben,

Planning to put a roll of film through tomorrow to see how I g on with it.Do you use a lens hood or filters ? I've read online that you do need a hood and B+W better if you control contrast with suitable filters? Is this your experience?

Jon
    You need to remember the advice that my father gave my 50 years ago (and I have always ignored) "keep the sun behind you." Otherwise you will get flare. With the sun behind you you should get no flare and the contrast will be fine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin