Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,901   Online: 1182

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I returned to 35 from 120 for the following reasons.

1) My glass is better. I shoot nikon F6 / f100 and can take advantage of the current glass with vr. With age comes the reminder of my fathers shakes are hereditary.

2) I develop film much better. The format became less important.

3) My MF gear is getting older and has started to need repair. My F6 is still a current model and I even got it repaired (external flash fried some boards inside) at Nikon last year.

4) Neopan 400 and PlusX is gone in 120. I still have several 100' cans of both in 35.

5) I don't like being looked at like a hipster.

6) I still love my Zorki 4K
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a slippery slope I'm afraid. I ended up buying a new Chamonix whole plate camera.................................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We're all over the place on format, clearly. And the bottom line is, if you're a pro use the tool you need to make money. If you do it for the enjoyment of it, use the one you enjoy using. For me that's all three (35mm, all MF, 4x5 and one day larger) but not equally for all things.

If/when E6 does completely go away I may give up 35mm entirely. Well no - I'll probably start reversal processing 35mm black and white.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I hate all photography: with cameras, accessories, books, travel... I could have bought a racehorse or small yacht by now.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think about film formats in terms of technical quality anymore. Instead I think about differences in the appearance of the outcome and the differences in handling.
    For some subjects I prefer the grainy look of 35mm film. Others suits the smother appearance of MF better. Usually landscape. And for some the setup and handling of the 4x5 becomes an event in itself, influencing the stance of my subject (groups of people) in a certain way which, together with the three dimensional look of the prints, makes for the charm of the pictures.
    But when it comes to darkroom work, I much prefer MF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too, have gone that road. I was happy shooting 35mm but one day after having a few too many beers I bought an innocent-looking Kodak Brownie 120 camera off evilbay. Then came the folding pre-WWII Ikon, then I built a 67 medium format view camera just for the kicks. And then, only a few months later, came the lovely Crown Graphic and a few months later I bought a Rodenstock Grandagon as an offering for the LF gods. And now you might be asking, which format am I aiming for now? Well, I have a 8x10 camera in the making! This thing is addictive I tell you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its only printing for me. I am happy with 135 and 120. I may try LF pinhole one day, but now I find most of the joy in the printing and carrying simple gear.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think any of my cameras can replace each other. There is a place for 6x7, 6x6 and 35mm otherwise I would have sold them all and kept just one. Yes it does generally start with "is there a reason why I would not take the RB67" everytime I want to shoot something and to be honest the Hasselblad probably gets the most use as I like the square format most but there are times when I just run around with the EOS 3 and the 40 and I just feel so free to do whatever I want.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I returned to 35 from 120 for the following reasons.

1) My glass is better. I shoot nikon F6 / f100 and can take advantage of the current glass with vr. With age comes the reminder of my fathers shakes are hereditary.

2) I develop film much better. The format became less important.

3) My MF gear is getting older and has started to need repair. My F6 is still a current model and I even got it repaired (external flash fried some boards inside) at Nikon last year.

4) Neopan 400 and PlusX is gone in 120. I still have several 100' cans of both in 35.

5) I don't like being looked at like a hipster.

6) I still love my Zorki 4K
    I totally disagree with point #2 above. Well developed 35mm film is in no way equal to the qualities that 120 film has (and vice versa).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You guys obsess over cameras and film size way too much. You use whatever camera gets you the shot you need. The end.

Ultimate print quality is a secondary consideration, after you make sure you get the shot AND something that is interesting and worthwhile.
    It's not just print quality that is part of the consideration. I happen to enjoy the shooting experience of shooting roll film far greater than 35mm.

My roll film cameras (Fuji's GF670, GF670W and GA645) have as good of lenses as any 35mm lenses that I own.

I enjoy having only 10 shots at a time. I shoot slower and more methodical.

I enjoy feeding a roll of film into the camera as well as wrapping up the spent roll.

I enjoy developing 120 film over 35mm.

My GF670W and GA645 cameras are very small and portable, much easier to travel with than my 35mm SLR.

All my GF670 and GF670W shoot absolutely silently. I can shoot in THE quietist conditions imaginable without disturbing anyone.

The viewfinders on my GF cameras are just beyond awesome. Makes my 35mm SLR viewfinder look like a little peep hole.

120 negs sc*n waaaay better than 35mm.

There's lots of reasons I choose medium format over 35mm before I even consider print quality.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin