Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,244   Online: 930

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a 35mm camera you have to have a very good negative to enlarge it to a quality 20"X16"exhibition print, with a M/F camera you can enlarge every negative to 20"X16".
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my living room I am happy with seven 8"x10" prints from APX 100 135 negatives. Four in landscape and three in portrait orientation.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the same when I bought my RB67, I took the 35mm kit out much less often. I don't have the heart to part with it, and the compact nature of one Nikon FM3a and a 35mm f2 is still an attraction. 35mm is much better for macro as 1:1 on 35mm gives the same object size on the frame as 1:1 on 120, you just get more space around it. I love the look of printed monochrome MF, such creamy tones, but then grain in 35mm can be a real treat as well. Basically having two systems means that I do half the amount of photography on each as I used to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me, 35mm had been relegated to use in conditions where a weather sealed camera is needed, or for shooting slides. I find the print quality of 35mm to certainly be acceptable, but I don't like the 3:2 aspect ratio. I tend to mostly shoot 6x6 using old folders. I don't know why, I have newer "better" cameras with modern lenses, but I just like using antique folders for some reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I don't plan to give up on 35mm anytime soon but I find that the 645 system that I have has given me great pictures with very little compromise in portability.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    In my living room I am happy with seven 8"x10" prints from APX 100 135 negatives. Four in landscape and three in portrait orientation.
    I'm pleased to hear it, but 20"X16" exhibition prints in competitive photographic competitions are a different matter I can assure you.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    It's not just print quality that is part of the consideration. I happen to enjoy the shooting experience of shooting roll film far greater than 35mm.

My roll film cameras (Fuji's GF670, GF670W and GA645) have as good of lenses as any 35mm lenses that I own.

I enjoy having only 10 shots at a time. I shoot slower and more methodical.

I enjoy feeding a roll of film into the camera as well as wrapping up the spent roll.

I enjoy developing 120 film over 35mm.

My GF670W and GA645 cameras are very small and portable, much easier to travel with than my 35mm SLR.

All my GF670 and GF670W shoot absolutely silently. I can shoot in THE quietist conditions imaginable without disturbing anyone.

The viewfinders on my GF cameras are just beyond awesome. Makes my 35mm SLR viewfinder look like a little peep hole.

120 negs sc*n waaaay better than 35mm.

There's lots of reasons I choose medium format over 35mm before I even consider print quality.
    I am very glad that you put so much thought into it.

To me it's a matter of getting such good print quality up to 16x20" prints from 35mm that I just don't even think about any sort of gain in quality when I use 120. It doesn't seem relevant to me, especially with the kinds of photographs I make.

But I really love the grain. In combination with the superior resolution of my 35mm lenses (compared to my Hasselblad anyway, I know there are some Mamiya lenses that are slightly better) the actual quality 'behind' the grain is very similar.

What has become important to me is to treat all photographs within a series of pictures the same way, so that there is a consistent look. That's why I shoot nearly all abstract work with 35mm. Nearly all portraits I make are 35mm. Most landscapes are 6x6, because I really love the square format, and the waist level finder lends itself to landscape photography very well indeed. The Leica is what I use for walking around and spontaneous stuff, etc etc etc ad nauseum. I don't think the 35mm can replace my MF cameras, and vice versa. They complement each other.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Absolutly.. However I will say the my FE does an amazing job and is a little quicker for street photography. MF..yhea, it's awesome. Those pin sharp images you get with compact dynamo's (Rolleiflex) just amazing.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I totally disagree with point #2 above. Well developed 35mm film is in no way equal to the qualities that 120 film has (and vice versa).
    I develop film better to the point where my sharper glass on 35mm trump what I have on 120 IQ. Look at my gallery.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I like MOST about MF is that I don't have to figure out how to make it through 36 exposures.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin