Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,267   Online: 1135

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    ...series of flower photos that really surprised and pleased me. I should do another series with printing (smallish prints) in mind, just to show what can be done with what is now regarded as a real POS camera .
    Now go shoot those flowers in 8x10

I have a little point and shoot electronic camera that I got before joining APUG (with a Foveon chip no less), and it surprised me at its ability to make good looking close-ups of flora and fauna.

Among the closeups I shot were a few digital shots of a frog that often frequented my backyard, (I live in California Red-Legged Frog habitat)... But I took no film photos of this endangered species.

Next time I see one, I am shooting film for sure, probably 35mm so I can use either the Macro or Telephoto and crop tightly. My larger formats are better at the larger scenes. But I may have missed my chance, the frogs haven't hung out in my backyard lately....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Now go shoot those flowers in 8x10

I have a little point and shoot electronic camera that I got before joining APUG (with a Foveon chip no less), and it surprised me at its ability to make good looking close-ups of flora and fauna.

Among the closeups I shot were a few digital shots of a frog that often frequented my backyard, (I live in California Red-Legged Frog habitat)... But I took no film photos of this endangered species.

Next time I see one, I am shooting film for sure, probably 35mm so I can use either the Macro or Telephoto and crop tightly. My larger formats are better at the larger scenes. But I may have missed my chance, the frogs haven't hung out in my backyard lately....
    A speck of pollen will fill up the DoF...
    Now if you can tell me where to get it processed, I'll use up the PKR 64 in my freezer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    Possibly, but I think film grain looks prettier than digital noise. Or in the case of a 3.2 Mp camera, digital blur.

And, unfortunately, I have seen a lot of failed and technically flawed pictures of "beautiful things". And vice versa.

If you take a jpeg of Tom Waits in the glaring sun with your 3.2Mp Nikon Coolpics, it probably won't look anything like art. But if Corbijn does it with Tri-X in a Hasselblad and lith prints it, it will.

So the assumed point that the medium is unimportant in photography, doesn't quite hold up.
    Don't assume it's a blur. I have a Coolpix 995, which I bought new for about $700 in, IIRC, 2003 or so, plus a 1GB microdrive (remember those?) for which I paid another $385 I think it was, which was much cheaper than getting an entire GB of storage on a regular CF card. At any rate, the results still are far superior to camera phones with more pixels but tiny sensors and lesser lenses. I have 8.5x11 prints from it that look really good on the wall. I wouldn't want to go any bigger, and viewed close up (less than a foot away) you can see the noise but even that is small and tight enough that it doesn't look bad. Hanging one the wall and viewed from inside the room they look good. (I gave shots of myself that a friend took with it to my parents and they have them hanging.)

The autofocus has trouble in anything but good light and it's sure no DSLR but it's surprisingly decent. And I agree; it's particularly good for closeups.

Now art, I dunno, that's in the eye of the beholder and I admit I haven't really tried using it in B&W much or converting to B&W. It's for snapshooting, or was before I had a camera phone with me all the time.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 05-03-2014 at 11:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always have a Canon S95 in my bag, in case a photo should present itself. It's 10Mp in RAW and makes passable photos if you process them a bit.

But in my opinion 35mm film beats it hands down, regardless of whether grain is discrete or prominent.

So I also have a 35mm Minola Hi-Matic 7sII, which I often carry for the same reason.

In fact, I will mainy focus on 35mm for a while now, as I have recently replenised my 135 film stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    I always have a Canon S95 in my bag, in case a photo should present itself. It's 10Mp in RAW and makes passable photos if you process them a bit.

But in my opinion 35mm film beats it hands down, regardless of whether grain is discrete or prominent.

So I also have a 35mm Minola Hi-Matic 7sII, which I often carry for the same reason.

In fact, I will mainy focus on 35mm for a while now, as I have recently replenised my 135 film stock.
    "So the assumed point that the medium is unimportant in photography, doesn't quite hold up"

Shooter
    127 Format
    It's all for fun as I see it. I like doing things the corpse says we aren't allowed to anymore.

I love street shooting with a Mamiya M645, a Brownie Hawkeye Flash or even an Instamatic 104.

At my age it's doubtful anyone would look at me like a hipster.

I have a 4x5 enlarger and some film, now I need a camera. Not likely to go larger than 4x5 though.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It's all for fun as I see it. I like doing things the corpse says we aren't allowed to anymore.

I love street shooting with a Mamiya M645, a Brownie Hawkeye Flash or even an Instamatic 104.

At my age it's doubtful anyone would look at me like a hipster.

I have a 4x5 enlarger and some film, now I need a camera. Not likely to go larger than 4x5 though.
    The problem with going larger than 4x5, as you kind of imply, is the difficulty of enlarging the negatives. 5x7 enlargers are fairly rare. 8x10 ones are the size of a small car and will often be given away if a) you're local, b) can manage to get the thing, and c) have a place to put it. Oh, and luck into it. The 8x10 conversions for the Beseler and Zone VI are not so big, but also not so common and usually much more expensive.

True enough that 8x10 allows exhibition of contact prints, but without cropping (at least if you still want it to be at least 8x10) and this would ironically mean I could make superb prints from my 4x5 negatives that are four times the size of what I could make from 8x10 ones if I did go to 8x10, at least printing optically. Of course I could scan but again, you gain little going to 8x10 from 4x5 if you are going to scan anyway, unless you print%2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post

I love street shooting with a Mamiya M645
    Then you are a better street photographer than me.

Whenever I use the M645 on the street, everyone (almost) stops what their doing and just stares at me and my big black camera.

Not very interesting photos from that.

But when I use the little 35mm Minolta 7sII, nobody reacts to it. It also has a very sharp lens and good shutter, so it's a small marvel of a camera. (I belive it was used on some US space flights, even).
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 05-08-2014 at 04:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I confess I am addicted to medium-format too... And I also have a fortune in 35 mm stuff... Phew!! I thought I was alone...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I started with medium format. Before MF, I had 35mm point and shoots. Then I was inspired by bright moonlight, and I got into photography. I still use my first MF camera, a Pentax 6x7 MLU.

While 35mm is still the best selling format (for film), my personal preference is for MF and larger. Bigger is always better, when it's film. The cameras aren't that much larger than 35mm, especially comparing them to something like the gargantuan "professional" versions.

I don't have a fortune in 35mm. OK, so I just bought a Leica M6, just to see what the fuss is about. I'm currently comparing it to my Nikon FM10 with its kit zoom lens. I expect to sell the Leica next year. Why? I just don't have a big hankering for 35mm. Not since I have MF. TLRs are light and not that large. I think the shutter on my Rollei is quieter than the Leica.

Grain is another winner with MF. Even with Delta 3200, the grain just isn't that large. I've seen a 32x40 enlargement from a 6x7, and it was beautiful! MF is just such a nice, special size.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin