Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,295   Online: 935

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was never satisfied with my black & white image quality until I stopped shooting b&W with 35mm and started using medium format.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113368...n/photostream/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuji Rangefinders sml.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've grown more and more format-agnostic by the years. I've also learnt that the proof is in the pudding you actually make.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I've grown more and more format-agnostic by the years. I've also learnt that the proof is in the pudding you actually make.
    I'm like this too. All the formats I use provide good enough print quality up to about 20x24 or so for me to be 100% satisfied, so camera selection is more about how I intend to use it.

The way I photograph and work with the content it is all about substance. Grain or lack of resolution doesn't affect the outcome in any negative or positive way for me. I do think, however, that if I am creating photographs for projects, I prefer all pictures in the series to have been treated the same way. If I start with the Hasselblad I finish with it, same with 35mm and I'm particular if I shoot Delta 3200 or TMax of course, or 5x7. Mixing formats makes for a dreadful experience in printing. I care about consistency, whether that means consistently grainy or smooth, if that makes sense.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I find the choice of format affects how I make pudding, though. It's probably not directly attributable to film real estate as such, but to a whole different gestalt of working; I just shoot medium format from a different mindset as compared to Kleinbildformat (and of course LF from a *really* different mindset, because the process requirements are so different).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    127 Format
    I don't hate.

I like medium format and I like 6x6 square. A simple TLR is all you need. Lightweight, simple, fun and flexible.
    It gives you so many options.

You can easily crop to portrait or landscape rectangular. Also, you could crop to the same size as a 35mm negative and have a very effective 'zoom'.

Gotta love it!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is one of the reason I stopped get into camera shops. The less I see the less I want to spend. So I just spend on film negatives, developers, fixers, etc.

Since I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't sleep with paid ladies, I think I have the right to have at least one vice where I can through my money away...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post

Since I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't sleep with paid ladies, I think I have the right to have at least one vice where I can through my money away...
    Alright, what do you do for inspiration, then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He is here.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    He is here.
    It's debatable whether that is a source of inspiration or frustration

But if it works for you then I am happy for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I started with medium format. Before MF, I had 35mm point and shoots. Then I was inspired by bright moonlight, and I got into photography. I still use my first MF camera, a Pentax 6x7 MLU..
    What a small coincidence. I just got a Pentax 6x7 MLU in the mail the day you posted that. I've been shooting 35mm for two years now.

I just loaded an expired roll of TMAX 100 in it. Excited to see these big negatives.

On a funny note, I'm a 110lb. young male. 5'6". I'm not a big guy... but it's absolutely easy to hold the 6x7. As always, the internet exaggerates quirks that cameras have. Then again I do have good grip strength and I think that helps. One thing I already realized thanks to knowing my way around a rifle, is to wrap your sling(or in this case, camera strap) around your arm to make it taut thus making it stable. The way I do it with my Pentax is to put my neck strap over my right arm and head. I let it hang idle at my side, and when I raise it up with my left hand I feed my right hand under the right side of the strap. I bring my hand back over the top, and as I reach for the camera I let the strap feed between my thumb and index finger as I grip it. The straighter you stand up and the farther you extend your forearms with your elbows in the more taut the strap gets. The camera at this point should feel virtually weightless. It's an EXTREMELY stable eye-level position to shoot from.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin