Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,247   Posts: 1,660,177   Online: 856

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is one of the reason I stopped get into camera shops. The less I see the less I want to spend. So I just spend on film negatives, developers, fixers, etc.

Since I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't sleep with paid ladies, I think I have the right to have at least one vice where I can through my money away...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post

Since I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't sleep with paid ladies, I think I have the right to have at least one vice where I can through my money away...
    Alright, what do you do for inspiration, then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He is here.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    He is here.
    It's debatable whether that is a source of inspiration or frustration

But if it works for you then I am happy for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I started with medium format. Before MF, I had 35mm point and shoots. Then I was inspired by bright moonlight, and I got into photography. I still use my first MF camera, a Pentax 6x7 MLU..
    What a small coincidence. I just got a Pentax 6x7 MLU in the mail the day you posted that. I've been shooting 35mm for two years now.

I just loaded an expired roll of TMAX 100 in it. Excited to see these big negatives.

On a funny note, I'm a 110lb. young male. 5'6". I'm not a big guy... but it's absolutely easy to hold the 6x7. As always, the internet exaggerates quirks that cameras have. Then again I do have good grip strength and I think that helps. One thing I already realized thanks to knowing my way around a rifle, is to wrap your sling(or in this case, camera strap) around your arm to make it taut thus making it stable. The way I do it with my Pentax is to put my neck strap over my right arm and head. I let it hang idle at my side, and when I raise it up with my left hand I feed my right hand under the right side of the strap. I bring my hand back over the top, and as I reach for the camera I let the strap feed between my thumb and index finger as I grip it. The straighter you stand up and the farther you extend your forearms with your elbows in the more taut the strap gets. The camera at this point should feel virtually weightless. It's an EXTREMELY stable eye-level position to shoot from.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found a monopod very helpful with my Mamiya 330.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -I still use both 35mm and medium format for different reasons, my 35mm camera its best for street photography for me, i like the character and the grain of 35mm for that style of photography than medium format ''over-surgery'' approach.

I'm primarily a MF user today, along with LF. I've largely abandoned 35mm. I don't like dealing with those tiny little negatives, and it's hard to see through that squinty little viewfinder anymore. I used 35mm heavily for many years, though. I don't miss it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love both my MF and my 35mm equipment. My 35mm is for everyday work, going out with friends, adventures where I don't bring my tripod etc, and my MF for days I do bring a tripod, I have friends over etc.

Here, weather sealing was very important:

Here, I had a tripod so why bother with 35mm?

When printing, I prefer whichever camera that made the picture possible. I don't print large so format doesn't really matter. But medium format negatives are pretty to look at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Large format negatives are an absolute joy to print in terms of tonality and detail, and an absolute horror to spot, especially if any lack of scrupulous cleanliness lead to dust on the film, which causes a white spot on the negative that prints black. You can try scratching the surface of the print lightly, which never works, or bleaching it back, which leaves an area the size of Texas with a ring around it you can't blend in or, most satisfactorily though that isn't saying much, spot the negative, leaving a white spot on the print that, if you are very careful, will only be the size of Montana, not Texas, and can be dealt with using the usual methods. Even if you are careful and lucky enough (and there is an element of luck no matter HOW careful you are, short of absolute clean room conditions most of us can't create) to have no spots on the negative that print white, you have so much more negative real estate to keep clean in printing, though this is somewhat offset by the smaller enlargement factor meaning you just won't see the smallest spots where you might from a smaller negative at higher enlargement.

In comparison, going to medium format from 35mm gives you about 75% of the increased printing ease and quality relative to the 35mm-4x5 jump with virtually none of the increased dust hassles, not to mention the loading-holders-in-general hassle.

I enjoy working with a view camera, movements are occasionally useful, and when everything is right and the stars align those big negatives are wondrous, but I really see medium format as the sweet spot for quality versus hassle.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin