Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,113   Online: 972

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I Hate Medium Format...

...because now I don't use my 35mm equipment much anymore and I spent a fortune on it. I'm spoiled on the relative image quality of MF. Now, I better avoid looking at that 4x5 camera I saw the other day, otherwise I might be writing a "I Hate Large Format..." thread in the near future. Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Last edited by Snapshot; 04-30-2014 at 05:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah

My name is paul and i am a medium format junkie! I tried quitting many times, even tried large format to no avail.

I AM ADDICTED!

Shame i have a ton of 35mm stuff in the closets too that i just cant let go of!

I AM ADDICTED!

OH this isnt photographer junkies annonymous? PJA?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Then, get a view camera..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most people consider that 35mm will be the first film format to disappear in the future. Roll film and sheet film will hold on for a bit longer given the popularity of the imaging quality, as you have found out. No secret then that MF was the chosen format for wedding photography for so many, many years.

Yes, I spent more than 30 years on 35mm and invested many thousands over the same time (printing to Ilfochrome Classic). I still do have a good use for it, though nowhere near intensively as it was.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 04-30-2014 at 06:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah...

I've sold every last piece of my 135 equipment and film so that I can hate medium format exclusively now...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use an 11x14 -- 4x5 is small format! LOL!

But I use MF mostly (8x10).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Then, get a view camera..
    One step at a time...
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I love whatever format system I happen to be shooting on a particular day. It helps the creative juices to switch things up from time to time.
    But once I'm in the darkroom things are no longer equal. The bigger the better, meaning 8x10 is my favorite film size, then right down the line.
    Medium format is awfully nice when it's just too windy or rainy for a view camera (and when I want a larger neg than 35mm), for quick pot shots from the highway, and for vacation travel (when my wife gets impatient if I set up a view camera). I also sometimes take "finanacial
    vacations" from the cost of sheet film by shooting 120 roll film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me 35mm is for when I am not siriusabout the quality of the finished product or I am traveling without much spare time.
    My sirius work is done with the Hasselblad using 120 film of course.
    The 4"x5" format is when I want to play shooting LF handheld or as a view camera with shifts and tilts.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm

love

When I take my Yashicamat out on a "date" she is the most beautiful creature in the world. But when I sneak out with my Yashica Y or Minister rangefinder 35mm, my poor heart goes thumpatythump.
    But when I get into a darkened room with my Yashicamat negatives I forget all about those other vixens.
    I have a Canonet 35mm that is over 50 years old but she looks like a teenager.
    I have owned a Nikkormat since they first came on the market and just recently obtained a 50mm f 1.4 Nikkor that matches it perfectly. What a sockaroo one-two punch.
    However I still pine for my Praktisix 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 SLR that was built like an oversized 35mm and that dyanmite 180mm f2.8 Olympic
    Sonnar. A lot of camera to love.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin