Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,712   Online: 920

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no real choice here, go for the MF set up. I recently purchased an ancient Agfa Isolette folding 6x6 camera. The first 12 negs out of it blew everything I'd ever done before into a cocked hat! Sharpness? I nearly cut myself looking at them!

Sell the DSLR before it's yesterday's news and only worth a dozen rolls of HP5!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Images
    Trust nothing on luminous lanscape. He is definately not objective about anything.

I would keep the D-70 if I could but if getting into MF or even into LF meant selling it I would do it in a heart beat. I have not been doing LF stuff for long but it seems that I have a greater selection of films now than I did when I started, BW and color.

As for lens names and what the different initals mean I have no clue. Personally I think manufactures just slap an intial on a lens so they can charge more, but I know nothing about lenses except what their purpose is.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    Is putting any money in a MF lens system foolish in this day?
    No.

Will I be disappointed with the quality of MF?
    No.

Am I just being sentimental about film?
    Maybe, maybe not. It depends what you want to do. If you want to do pixelography - digital capture than use a pixel editor to manipulate your digital capture and print using a printer, than go by the way of a digital camera. If you want to do photography - then buy a film camera.

You did say you wanted to do landscpaes and portraits, I think in another post. Than the Rollei is it if you want to be serious. I also read that the digital allowed to learn quicker. Although this may be true, I am not sure what you learned. I honestly believe that in order to really learn photography - to see the light, to really understand capture - you need a film camera.

Should I just be buying into the Canon system?
    If you already have a Nikon digital system, I don't see the logic in switching to a Canon system.

Should I just skip MF all together a just get a Linhof Technica III for peanuts
    I can't answer that one. I don't know anything about that camera, but from what read it's a great camera.

The worst thing about digital is having to have your Body+Lens+imaging device (CCD) all from the same company!
    Well, not really. You could have a Nikon body with a Sigma lens and the CCD is from Kodak. Or a Canon body, lens from Tamron and the CCD is from Sony. Plus there's more combinations. Anyway, this is all moot - get the Rollei.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Daniel, my D70 has been collecting dust since I went back to 35mm and 6x6. Haven't looked back since. The D70 has actually hardly been used and am now selling it. For digital snaps I still have a great little Olympus C5050 but even that hasn't been used since Nov 2003. By the time I want to use it, it most probably won't be compatible with anything. LOL. Love film and manual and also just getting my hands dirty in the darkroom - purist at heart and nothing like it! Have fun!!!
    Kind regards from West Australia,
    Nicole

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I looked at the prices of accessories.... and that scared me. Just a film insert costs more than a complete DSLR here! So I was a bit worried about repairs etc. Ive decided to go Leica M + Linhoff Technika combo.

Thanks for all the help! Its a real shame Leica, Zeiss, Contax, Rollei, Voitlander, Linhoff, Schneider etc dont all get together to produce a new standard for backs and a lens mount like the Olympus 4/3 standard, except better quality! (say 30mm x 30mm).

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format

You wont be disappointed

I have gotten to where I am a big fan of E100G mainly because it is so clean scanning. I drumscan most my film at 2000 dpi. With a sharp lens and no sharpening, E100G edge sharpness at 2000 dpi is as good as most digital cameras/files I have seen or used, except for Sigma.

That is a scan you can basically do some very minor work to and print.

That works out to roughly 6x7 at 25mp and it is clean. I shoot a Pentax 67.

Of couse if you want to push it and you have super sharp lenses like on a mamiya 7 or your 6008 you could scan at 3000 dpi, do a bit more work and end up with about 50+ mp, but mostly I dont see a lot of need for going over 2000-2500dpi unless you are going to print really large.

You wont be dissapointed, more likely wowed. For even a bigger wow, shoot 4x5 sometime.

I would agree to keep some sort of digital camera though for snapshots, action shots etc. I still have my dslr (unfortunately broken for now and I am going nuts without it) and a few lenses. Actually I think a perfect combo is a dslr, all around lens like a 18-125 or 18-200 and a 300mm Prime lens. I have a Sigma 18-125 and it stays on my camera 95% of the time.

All that said i think i would trade and pick up a used Dslr later. That sounds like a good trade.

There are a lot of digital and film scans on my pbase site here.

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/root

Especially check out this shot and the small crop. This is a E100s 4x5 shot. Slightly cropped, so its more like 3.5 x 4x5.

Reduced

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/image/36256345

Crop. This is about 1" x 3/4" of film, scanned at 2000 dpi neated and sharpened.

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/image/36256346

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin