Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 751

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Help : D70 -> Medium Format

I've got a bit tired of the "stress" associated with digital. Recently my large format friend gave me his complete large format darkroom, 2 enlargers, film washer, chemicals and a 2 foot high stack of Oriental Seagull papers (which I've been told are great).

So I've been thinking of just waving away the whole digital thing for a while and not worrying about megapixels etc etc.

I've never had medium format, but I can trade in my D70+3 lenses and exchange it for a

Rollei 6008 SRC 1000 (in great condition)
    6000 Back
    6006 Back
    Polaroid Back
    Prism
    Rollei 80mm HFT
    Rolleigon 150mm HFT
    Rolleigon 50mm HFT

Its tempting, Rollei is the brand I lusted for along time ago as a magazine shopoer and the 6x6 format look interesting. My concerns;

1. Since digital backs are soooo expensive, Ill never be able to put one on should film vanish in the future. Is putting any money in a MF lens system foolish in this day?

2. Will I be disappointed with the quality of MF? Ive seen reviews about how the Canon 1ds is better than any MF camera (they showed some RB67 pix vs it on Luminous Landscapes)... Am I just being sentimental about film? Should I just be buying into the Canon system?

3. Should I just skip MF all together a just get a Linhof Technica III for peanuts.

Thanks in advance for feedback,

Daniel.

PS. The worst thing about digital is having to have your Body+Lens+imaging device (CCD) all from the same company!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    I've got a bit tired of the "stress" associated with digital. Recently my large format friend gave me his complete large format darkroom, 2 enlargers, film washer, chemicals and a 2 foot high stack of Oriental Seagull papers (which I've been told are great).
    How come I don't have friends like these?

I've never had medium format, but I can trade in my D70+3 lenses and exchange it for a
    [snip]
    Absolutely, trade it in! Do it now before next year when your d70 is worth about as much as a floating point error Pentium PC.

2. Will I be disappointed with the quality of MF? Ive seen reviews about how the Canon 1ds is better than any MF camera (they showed some RB67 pix vs it on Luminous Landscapes)... Am I just being sentimental about film? Should I
    just be buying into the Canon system?
    I think I saw this and unless you want to take pictures of bland buildings and cropping a section so you can put it on a web site, then go for it.

3. Should I just skip MF all together a just get a Linhof Technica III for peanuts.
    Well, now you are talking!

I'll gladly take a few inches of that Oriental Seagull if 2' stack is too big for you to use

PS. The worst thing about digital is having to have your Body+Lens+imaging device (CCD) all from the same company!
    And that company sometimes doesn't even remotely have anything to do with photography!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's po$$ible, keep your digital gear and just buy the Rollei system. You can always use the D70 for family snapshots and use the Rollei for "serious" work. The purchase cost/resale-value-after-a-year-or-two ratio of a D70 is NOT going to be anything to write home about. Digital cameras are a lot like new cars - they lose a lot of resale value as soon as they leave the showroom. 6 months later, there's a newer-latest-greatest-model and the resale value drops even more.

The Rollei system is a damn fine camera that will serve you well for many, many years. I wouldn't worry too much about "the death of film", film isn't going anywhere for quite a long time. The Rollei won't become obsolete when a new film stock comes out, you're not limited to the characteristics (and technology) of one image sensor, and the Rollei lenses are fantastic.

Oh yes... about the Canon 1Ds being "better than medium format"... That is pure, marketing bullshit hype. People who "drink the Magic Kool-Aid" might swear that it's true, but they're ignoring the fact that a specific camera is just ONE tool, and there isn't ONE tool that does EVERYTHING best. That's the reason a lot of us have a large variety of cameras - we use the right tool for the job at hand.

My $.02
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, if, against all odds, you do decide to stay with digital, send me the Oriental Seagull.

Just kidding go for the Rollei!!!!

JJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    '' (What Bob said)
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Daniel, the Rollie kit you describe would be an excellent setup - if medium format actually fits your shooting style and most-frequent subject matter. Rather than relying on the marketing blather of digital zealots, you might be better off actually assessing your imaging needs. That might point you to MF or even LF.

I'd agree with Bob Fowler, though. If you can afford to keep the D70 for what it's good for (and, it's a pretty good digital), do so. You'd only get a fraction of what you paid for it, anyway.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    Will I be disappointed with the quality of MF? Ive seen reviews about how the Canon 1ds is better than any MF camera (they showed some RB67 pix vs it on Luminous Landscapes)... Am I just being sentimental about film? Should I just be buying into the Canon system?
    Boy this would be a good troll post for APUG!

I just went over to Luminous Landscapes very very briefly and checked this out. What I saw was a comparison of the Canon to the 6x7 digital back (This was on a contax 645 in the review I saw) right? That isn't comparing digital to film.

Let's see, a 6x6 Velvia/sensia (insert favorite film here) chrome vs. the Canon...which would win...

If you just want shear numbers, the back they showed was 22megapixels. 6cm is ~2in, which at 3000 pixels/inch is about 36megapixels if I did my sums correctly.

Now, 6cm is more like 2.25", and 3000 pixels/inch isn't really the resolution of film. You get the point.

That said--what do you shoot, why do you shoot. Why did you pick the D70 in the first place? The MF gear will be a lot slower for taking pictures and even slower for viewing the images. That isn't a bad thing, but it may not fit your style.

I recently wanted to get some nice portraits of my little boy at the piano. I had my 4x5 ready, but in another room (to keep it hidden from said little boy while I did some setup). I put the boy in the chair to see how well he could do on his own (he is only 20 months). At this point, my wife thought this was so cute that she got out her D70 and rattled off a dozen pictures. She had them uploaded to a website for the grandparents to see before I could get my 4x5 in place. A week later, when I finally got the time to develop the negatives, I found that my little boy moves faster than my shutter...crisp piano/blurry boy.

Which was the better camera for that application?

Well, probably my N90...it has film and a good flash.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    p.s.

I work for a company that makes hard drives.

So, by all means, keep the D-70. Better yet, get the 22MP back for the MF camera.

Matt
    (inspired by the Next)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't go for this deal and your friend would be interested in trading for a Digital Rebel with three lenses, let me know. I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. I'd toss in a couple of memory cards, a remote...everything I have tied up in the Rebel system. I'd even throw in an adapter that would let your friend use Nikon lenses on the Rebel. (Stop-down metering only, but at least old manual Nikon glass will meter on the Rebel.)

Why would I make this trade? Because digital has uses, but not for the work that I'm doing today. The Rebel's just an expensive toy that I never use. For others, it's a great system that delivers images they want. But I'm spending all of my time with film these days, and I'm very happy.

You'll have to make this call based on what you want to do. I'm in no way anti-digital, but I really have no use for it in the creative work that I do. Only you can decide if the same is true for you, or if you can be happy with the D70.

Good luck with your decision.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cannon = 16mp (if it's the camera I'm thinking of), 6 x 6 = approx 40 mp equivalent. Cannon better? I don't think so + plus you can get a decent medium format camera for a tenth of the price. A fine grained 35mm film can match it and blow the D70 to hell. As for film dying, when was the last time you saw a petrol station that sold memory cards? Now when was the last time you saw one that didn't sell film?

David.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin