Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,373   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

That moment when you look in the viewfinder...

So I decided to go out tonight and burn some film through my new (old) RB67 that I just got from KEH (EX+ condition). Wow, that one is nice. WAY nicer than the ebay beater I started with. No comparison, either mechanically or cosmetically.

I had the idea to head over to my old grade school. They have some stuff in the playground that was installed when I was a kid, and I was surprised recently to notice that it was still there, so I figured that would make some good shooting.

Anyway, I looked at the scene, figured out a couple of angles to try, eyeballed the light, got in position and WHAM! That image in that big viewfinder is just magic! It is such an amazing feeling when you look down and everything just works.

Negatives on Friday. Another advantage of shooting film. I get two days to contemplate my brilliant photographs before being dashed on the rocks of reality.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    So I decided to go out tonight and burn some film through my new (old) RB67 that I just got from KEH (EX+ condition). Wow, that one is nice. WAY nicer than the ebay beater I started with. No comparison, either mechanically or cosmetically.

I had the idea to head over to my old grade school. They have some stuff in the playground that was installed when I was a kid, and I was surprised recently to notice that it was still there, so I figured that would make some good shooting.

Anyway, I looked at the scene, figured out a couple of angles to try, eyeballed the light, got in position and WHAM! That image in that big viewfinder is just magic! It is such an amazing feeling when you look down and everything just works.

Negatives on Friday. Another advantage of shooting film. I get two days to contemplate my brilliant photographs before being dashed on the rocks of reality.
    Nicely put.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "WHAM!" Wasn't an understatement from the shutter of the RB.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I felt like that when I first saw the view in my 'blad's WLF. It had the standard old style screen installed w/ the focus bubble in the middle, and while there are brighter screens, I preferred that one. The photos from the camera never looked as good as the view in the finder though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    "WHAM!" Wasn't an understatement from the shutter of the RB.
    What? with that smooth mirror lift system. It sounds more like pulling your foot out of 12" deep mud.
    More of a smoooooch.(not that kind) Whams are reserved for Pentax 67's
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Optika IIa, which I suspect may be the most modern 6x9 SLR ever made, which isn't saying much; it doesn't have an auto-return mirror, even. But it does have a 6x9 viewfinder with a WLF! I sometimes pull it off the shelf just to look around the room admiring the view.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats great! Not many express their first impressions so elegantly.

The photographer friends i know are youngins n never experienced film. They are digiheads n always ribb my beasts as dinasours just as i am.

Their first time looking through my view finder for giggles are simply blown away by how beautiful it really is.

They say it looks 3D n are so dissapointed when going back to their peepholes.

Glad you appreciate.
    Btw... Just a tip when firing the RB... After you hear the mirror go up... Just hold your steady for just one more moment as the shutter imeadiately follows. There is a very slight delay regardless of the speed.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RB will do that to you, especially with the brightscreen. Theres always a wow!!! factor when I let someone new look through mine.
    Koni Rapid Omega 200, Super Omegon 90mm F=3.5 (KE-58)

Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkor-S 35mm F=2.8

www.flickr.com/photos/shootfilm08

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That moment when you look in the viewfinder...

This is when you may press the shutter, because you have seen something that maybe worth recording. But would it be better 1mm higher or 2mm to the left and if there is also movement in view, how do you decide when to take the picture. This is why you should be devoid of thought at that moment, as no human being is capable of making such a complex decision.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RB finder is indeed magic. When I got mine and opened the finder I just sat there for a minute stunned by the view!
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin