Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,978   Online: 1168

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Light leak, per the negatives. Good thinking!

I really appreciate the recommendations about fitting the foam using a wetting agent, etc. I'm starting to feel like an information mooch, but where can one find the right foam? Neoprene? Closed or open cell? Lots of options!

Thanks,

Randy
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Various 35mm systems

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    email jon goodman for a kit with instructions: JGood21967 at aol.com

Satisfied customer
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks,

I'll shoot an email off to him now.

Cheers,
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Various 35mm systems

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have two M645s that do that and I'm pretty sure it isn't light leaks.

The line seems to move with shutter speed which would indicate a shutter problem to me. As if the second curtain was dragging.

I have not heard a definitive answer in three years of reading these same reports but the Silver Oxide battery might be the answer. I will also try new ones and see if the problem goes away.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've contacted Jon Goodman (JGood21967 at aol.com) and seals are on the way. I had plenty of rolls that worked just fine on the alkaline batteries. My seals are gooey and have lost all sponginess.
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Various 35mm systems

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    . The line seems to move with shutter speed which would indicate a shutter problem to me. As if the second curtain was dragging
    It's easy to tell. When I had a light leak the fogging on the neg extended beyond the image area and out to the edge of the film. If it does this it's a light leak.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    It's easy to tell. When I had a light leak the fogging on the neg extended beyond the image area and out to the edge of the film. If it does this it's a light leak.
    That's right. So here's the proof that it's a light leak and not a lazy shutter. I should have looked at the negs earlier, but this is my first run in with a light leak. Lesson learned.

Here's one of the negatives. Pretty obvious now!

Thanks everyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	88060
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Various 35mm systems

Shooter
    127 Format
    Thanks Randy. I shall reexamine my own negatives.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not going to argue against changing the light seals. It's always a good idea with vintage cameras.

But I would like to make two points based on my experience with 1000s.

(1) Alkalines can't deliver as much current as silver oxides. They can weaken during a shooting session which may cause the shutter to lag or freeze, as it needs power to operate.

(2) Sometimes the shutter will stick halfway closed for a while. This excessive exposure can leak outside the borders of the frame, especially along the raised edgde of the shutter as there is a small gap there.

So,in coclusion, do change the light seals, but also use the proper batteries. It's more important than you would think.

By the way, for light seals i use mouse mats made of foam which I cut into thin strips with a scalpel. Very convenient and efficient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    (1) Alkalines can't deliver as much current as silver oxides. They can weaken during a shooting session which may cause the shutter to lag or freeze, as it needs power to operate.
    I agree. Bad batteries in this camera can cause a lagging shutter, i.e. shutter that is slower than needed. I also agree that bad batteries can cause the shutter to freeze, i.e. not close after opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    (2) Sometimes the shutter will stick halfway closed for a while. This excessive exposure can leak outside the borders of the frame, especially along the raised edgde of the shutter as there is a small gap there.
    Agree. If the tracks are dirty or mechanically bent, or if the curtain is imbalanced, the curtain can stick mid-way and cause a problem like that.

However, bad batteries cannot create the OP's symptoms. I'm looking at the service manual of this camera right now. The shutter is almost fully mechanical. The curtains are driven by mechanical springs. The only time where battery comes into play is to activate the solenoid that releases a catch for the closing curtain. It is simply impossible for a bad battery to cause a hanging curtain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin