Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 832

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    ... Another trick for shooting candid, street type shots is to take the finder off, stick it in your pocket an use it like a TLR. Hold it at chest or waist level, point at or near your subject matter, center the bubble and then trip the shutter. No noise and you're not looking at your subject so they don't have a clue. Of course you'll have to use a film like HP5+/THY2 so you have enough shutter speed and aperture to play the DOF game. If you can shoot at around f11 and have a speed of 1/60th or higher you'll be king of the sidewalk. Just watch your red DOF guide bars and you're all set. A very simple, but very capable camera. JW
    I'm gonna try that. Thanks for the tip.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    I'm gonna try that. Thanks for the tip.
    Yes, the SWC is like taking a shotgun hunting instead of a rifle. Your aim can be just a little off with the shotgun and you'll still hit what you shot at. The same goes for the SWC! Also, with the lens and film flatness of the SWC's quality you can do some serious cropping to bring your subject in a little closer, 'cause they will tend to look a little on the small side if they're any distance away. Just a real fun, go everywhere camera and mine is sitting right next to me this very moment. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    One of the few times that I will post one of my photographs on the internet.
    Attachment 87883
    Really nice shot.
    Kudos to the architect and you for capturing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    One of the main reasons I bought mine. I had a 50mm Distagon for some wide shots when I shot weddings and had a heck of a time with distortion on some shots. The SWC was a dream compared to the 50mm, but like the 50mm, it was only used for certain settings. Another trick for shooting candid, street type shots is to take the finder off, stick it in your pocket an use it like a TLR. Hold it at chest or waist level, point at or near your subject matter, center the bubble and then trip the shutter. No noise and you're not looking at your subject so they don't have a clue. Of course you'll have to use a film like HP5+/THY2 so you have enough shutter speed and aperture to play the DOF game. If you can shoot at around f11 and have a speed of 1/60th or higher you'll be king of the sidewalk. Just watch your red DOF guide bars and you're all set. A very simple, but very capable camera. JW
    The problem with shooting that way is that you get photographs of the top of your shoes in the bottom on the photograph!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem with shooting that way is that you get photographs of the top of your shoes in the bottom on the photograph!
    Just make sure you wear your good shoes and they're shined. Just kidding! I don't hold mine tight to my chest or belly. I usually lock my elbows to my side, slightly in front of my ribcage, with my arms straight out at belly level. You can shoot this way and turn the camera 90 degrees and pick off people without them suspecting a thing since you're not aiming directly at them. Will you get some screwed up shots? Yup, but you'll also get some pretty good ones also. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the few times that I will post one of my photographs on the internet.
    Attachment 87883
    Beautiful.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used a SWC upside down for landscape work. Ordinarily the lens barrel blocks the bottom of the viewfinder so the critical foreground (maybe with tips of shoes) can't be composed confidently. Upside down the viewfinder uncertainty is transferred to sky or cloud where there is more room for error.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I've used a SWC upside down for landscape work. Ordinarily the lens barrel blocks the bottom of the viewfinder so the critical foreground (maybe with tips of shoes) can't be composed confidently. Upside down the viewfinder uncertainty is transferred to sky or cloud where there is more room for error.
    If you hang upside down by your legs from a tree branch, then you do not have to invert the camera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you hang upside down by your legs from a tree branch, then you do not have to invert the camera.
    Hang by one leg. Use the other to swing around as a kind of gyroscope to keep yourself steady.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enough is enough! The ape-hanger method does not work with a Hasselblad SWC. If I'm upside down in a tree and monkeying around with a camera I'd need one where I can chimp the screen on the back.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin