Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,289   Online: 975

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

2nd hand Mamiya RB67 - what to check before buying- what are the risks/tips ??

I'm meting up with a guy who's gonna sell me his Mamiya RB67 next Monday. I know manual MF cameras, but have never used a Mamiya RB67.
    Here are some images of the ad:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB67-front.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	87940 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB67-lens-01.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	87941 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB67-lens-02.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	87942

The set contains:
    - RB PRO S BODY
    - LENSES: 90/50/180/360
    - PRISM FINDER WITH LIGHT METER
    - GRIP
    - 2 FILM BACKS
    - ALU CASE

The complete set is supposed to be serviced by Mamiya in 2013 (he has the receipt). Body and lenses were cleaned and light seals were replaced.

My questions are:
    - what is a fair price for this set?
    - what parts are "missing" or would be a nice extra?
    - how good are these lenses? (there aren't bad lenses, but you know what I mean)
    - and: what to check before buying?

I'll test the shutter of each lens with the back removed from the body. This way I can see/hear the shutter and check the mirror movement (I guess).
    I'm looking forward to getting me such a camera. I haven't used one like this before, but I'm familiar with Bronica SQ-B, Rolleiflex TLR, Hasselblad SWC. I suppose this RB67 is bulkier and hazier, but that's fine by me.

BTW: is it true that there is also a 6x8 film back for this camera??

Thanks for the help in advance,
    Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

PS. I know I don't need this camera, but I like it and would like to use it for B&W photography.
    A simple matter of GAS, I guess ...
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a 6x8 motorized back. There is an APUG thread about someone's discoveries with it (it works better in one orientation than the other).

Make sure that the backs are Pro-S or Pro-SD backs (they are clearly labelled) and not the original Pro versions.

Check that the dark slides are there and that the interlocks prevent exposure when the dark slide is inserted.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    There is a 6x8 motorized back. There is an APUG thread about someone's discoveries with it (it works better in one orientation than the other).

Make sure that the backs are Pro-S or Pro-SD backs (they are clearly labelled) and not the original Pro versions.

Check that the dark slides are there and that the interlocks prevent exposure when the dark slide is inserted.
    Hi Matt,
    Thank you for the quick reply.

Could you tell me why you don't like the original Pro backs? If these are Pro backs, should I cancel or just pay less?
    And do you know if the camera shutter will fire if there is no film inside the back? Otherwise I won't know if the interlock does work. won't I?
    I'll bring some old, expired film tot set the backs.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Bert
    Bert from Holland

* My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I forgot one image from the ad:

Name:	RB67-side.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	87948
    Bert from Holland

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used non-Pro S backs on an RB Pro S. Just have to remember to advance them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Pro backs don't offer double exposure prevention interlocks or an interlock that prevents taking a photograph when the dark slide is in.
    Otherwise they are fine!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can test the interlocks without film. What you cannot test is whether the counter is working properly. It should allow you to advance to the first exposure without stopping, and then wind on past the 10th exposue to the end without stopping.
    Film will also let you test whether the wind function is smooth.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you plan to hand hold it, L bracket is very nice. With it, it'll act like a humorously over-sized 35mm camera.... That's how I use mine.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    I'm meting up with a guy who's gonna sell me his Mamiya RB67 next Monday. I know manual MF cameras, but have never used a Mamiya RB67.
    Here are some images of the ad:

Name:	RB67-front.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	87940 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB67-lens-01.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	87941 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB67-lens-02.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	87942

The set contains:
    - RB PRO S BODY
    - LENSES: 90/50/180/360
    - PRISM FINDER WITH LIGHT METER
    - GRIP
    - 2 FILM BACKS
    - ALU CASE

The complete set is supposed to be serviced by Mamiya in 2013 (he has the receipt). Body and lenses were cleaned and light seals were replaced.

My questions are:
    - what is a fair price for this set?
    - what parts are "missing" or would be a nice extra?
    - how good are these lenses? (there aren't bad lenses, but you know what I mean)
    - and: what to check before buying?

I'll test the shutter of each lens with the back removed from the body. This way I can see/hear the shutter and check the mirror movement (I guess).
    I'm looking forward to getting me such a camera. I haven't used one like this before, but I'm familiar with Bronica SQ-B, Rolleiflex TLR, Hasselblad SWC. I suppose this RB67 is bulkier and hazier, but that's fine by me.

BTW: is it true that there is also a 6x8 film back for this camera??

Thanks for the help in advance,
    Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

PS. I know I don't need this camera, but I like it and would like to use it for B&W photography.
    A simple matter of GAS, I guess ...
    you can test the lenses with backs on or when they are removed from camera.
    But you need a PDF of the manual as the interlocks are not obvious.
    eg the backs allow an option for double exposure or firing with dark slide in
    the lenses and bodies both need to be armed for mating etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much is he asking?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin