Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,166   Online: 1052

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Domke Gripper Strap with Rolleiflex TLR

I've read numerous recommendations for the Domke Gripper Strap on a Rolleiflex TLR camera. I've got one on order and was hoping someone could show me a PICTURE of how they attached it. I've read that most simply thread the metal ring around the post. (I'm not looking for other strap recommendations, there are already plenty of posts on that subject.)

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Shawn,
    1) Confession. I'm not a Rollei user. As I recall the Rollei uses a horizontal piece over a post then the strap clips to the post. If not, ignore the rest of this post.

2) So consider this as an outside the box suggestion.
    3)I use gripper straps that thread through a typical split ring. As an alternative I'd look at threading the web portion through the horizontal section & pull it upward. Then use a split ring to attach the free end to the section of web to the upper section.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What model Rolleiflex do you have? Ones earlier that the 3.5 or 2.8E have the arrangement that John Koehrer describes above. Later models use metal "scissor clips". I should be possible to use the metal split ring that comes with the Gripper strap with either type of fitting or, possibly, to thread the end of the nylon strap through either one. I use a Domke Gripper strap on my 2.8E, but I already had a set of scissor clips, from a worn out leather strap. I had those riveted to the ends of a generic nylon strap, cut off pieces a few inches long, and buckled those to the Domke strap. This a a more elegant way to go but isn't really necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, fellows!

I got the strap and things were much simpler than I thought. I will post some pictures soon. I just hadn't thought it through and, from what I've read, neither had many other people...

I have a Rolleiflex 3.5T. It has the metal strap holder that juts out from the side of the body with the little rod that goes through the middle of it. I simply used the metal split ring (think key ring) that came on the Domke Gripper. It was a puzzle I hadn't thought through properly until I had it in hand... I was thinking that there wouldn't be enough room inside the opening to get the ring around the rod in the middle... but you don't have to do it that way.

I simply ran the split ring (key ring) around the outside of the strap holder until one side was on, I then went the other direction on the other side of the strap holder and then the ring was inside the strap holder AND around the post in the middle. You could use any split ring (key ring) that is the right size and then attach it to any strap, no need for the scissor piece or any modification.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I was lucky and still had the alligator clips from the original leather strap, then took some rectangular key chain loops and connected the strap with those.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well the thing about the proper alligator clip is that it won't damage the hood of the camera. The way it is hinged the metal part is held away from the sides of the WLF. Using the key ring thing will quickly scratch the paint of the side... depending I suppose on the size of the rings.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats what I noticed right away.. The scratch factor. I use the the split ring on Everyready and the body. You have a beautiful camera if thats yours? I'd do something else.

todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Thats what I noticed right away.. The scratch factor. I use the the split ring on Everyready and the body. You have a beautiful camera if thats yours? I'd do something else.

todd
    Yes, the camera I posted is mine.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Well the thing about the proper alligator clip is that it won't damage the hood of the camera. The way it is hinged the metal part is held away from the sides of the WLF. Using the key ring thing will quickly scratch the paint of the side... depending I suppose on the size of the rings.
    Dennis
    As Dennis said, it all depends on the size of the ring. The size of the rings that came with the Domke are just about perfect, they fit with just a touch of movement but not much so the ring cannot touch anything except the inside of the strap faster. No danger of scratching the hood or anything else (at least on my 3.5T).

I'll measure the ring and post that with a picture, hopefully tomorrow.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin