Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,580   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way I see it, cameras are some of the tools that are used to make a picture, similar to chisels, knives, saws, are some of the tools to shape wood. Like any tools, different cameras have different characteristics in taking a picture just, just as different tools are used in cutting, shaping wood.

Sometimes a 35mm is the right tool to take a photo, sometimes it is not. You can limit yourself, if that is what you want to do, and still accomplish your goals. You can have too many tools and not be proficient in using all of them. Each person has to decide for themselves what the need.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep all 4 cameras. Your style and taste will change.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Keep all 4 cameras. Your style and taste will change.
    Exactly. For me was other way around: I had rolleiflex, but square format was hard and irritating for me. So I sold it. After couple of years ... guess what: I have rolleiflex and diana F.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Exactly. For me was other way around: I had rolleiflex, but square format was hard and irritating for me. So I sold it. After couple of years ... guess what: I have rolleiflex and diana F.
    Even better: also get an original 6x4.5 insert for the Rolleiflex ;-)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 35mm format is losing out heavily and profoundly to the simplicity and sensibility of medium format. I think it will be the first format lost in film if its decline in take-up continues among manufacturers. Besides that, the 36 exposures is way too much for me, and I suspect it is the same for legions of other photographers now. More than a decade past I would chew through 36 exposures with various changes to composition and metering — effectively a lavish exercise in bracketing. I would be lucky to two two brackets in (6x7) MF now. The smaller format is fine if you are into shoot-from-the-hip style doco/street or even sport and you can genuinely put each frame to good use, but if making every image pay with startling clarity and impact is the objective, medium format will always win over 35mm, that is despite never having been endowed with (or hobbled by) the technology that made 35mm so useful (to a point).

You should keep the Pentax 6x7 and one 35mm. The significance of the TLR is not known. The collection you have is complicated and can give rise to indecision and encumbrance at times when you least need it.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will look for a camera where you can change the roll of film easily on the street.

My personal case
    Rolleicord: Not so happy when changing the roll.
    Agfa Isolette(Solinar lens): Compare to Rolleicord it is way easier.

35mm film camera still wins for me in this regard.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would keep them. You think four cameras are too many? Poor dear.

35 mm can do things easily that the other formats can't do, or can do only with great difficulty.

If you are a decent printer, you'll be able to get excellent prints out of carefully exposed 35 mm frames. Yes, MF film is better to print from, but you can't print a photograph that was never taken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    keep the rollei and if it has a planar keep it closer, film takes a bit to be changed but the house is not on fire
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I have a lot of cash, I may go with a TLR(Planar lens) and a Leica.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 05-16-2014 at 06:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    [...]maybe in a year or two you will need 35mm cameras, and then buying again...Just left them at home.
    This is what I am afraid of. And I am a kind of starving photographer. I don't have much left to get a new camera without selling something.

I could of course leave things as they are but I can totally see the convenience of TLR because of its size, format, and so on. I am almost sure that I would only shoot with it on most or all subjects, streets, portraits, travel and landscapes. Because the Pentax is serious heavy and the Bronica seems to be a bit bigger and the negative frame smaller.

An other thing is that I often waist frames shooting with 35mm just because I am too anxious to develop and see the results of the earlier shots. I think it is because I got into film photography with a Bronica I started using 35mm for travel because the cameras are smaller and lighter and I ended up using 35mm for street. But I actually would be glad on photographing the streets with a light and small medium format camera.

Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    I'll tell you what I did. At some point I had a Hasselblad, RB67, FM2n and OM1. I shoot mostly 120 so thought I'll get rid of my FM2n (which I used with a 50/1.4 and a 35/2, both Zeiss) as it was a lot of money sitting around (the Zeiss, not the FM2n...) and have the OM1 for the rare occasion when I want 35mm. Turns out I really disliked my OM1 which is why I never used it when I had the FM2n. So I sold that thinking that I don't need 35mm at all. A month later I got myself a EOS 3 with an Ultron 40/2. It just has its place.

In the end, it really depends what you shoot and how. I use the MF for most stuff but use 35mm most for a bit more faster portrait stuff (eg kids). To be honest I really wish I kept the FM2+Zeiss 50, that was a sweet combo. But the EOS 3 with the 40 is really nice too, it is a fast camera and the lens is great too. I also really like sometimes just walking around and thinking "oh I still have another 32 shots left...cool".

So basically what I'm saying...well noone knows except you. I know, much help that is...
    I think 36 frames per roll is to many. There are very few times I was glad to had many frames to shoot, like in events I find in the streets, but when it happens I shoot I entire roll to get less than a half keeper photos.

There is only one thing I really like is to take 35mm portraits with 85mm lens. But I also like really like the results fro Bronica lenses. And if I can get a TLR with a good portrait lens I believe I wouldn't miss the 35mm cameras with 85mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    An other question: how much Nikon lenses do you have?
    I would personally keep the Nikon F3 with one good lens - if money isn't a problem.
    A TLR camera is very nice to use - but in some / many instances a F3 will work much quicker/better in street photography.

But before you do anything, try to shoot a few roles with a TLR first, before you buy one. I personally like it, but a lot of folks don't like shooting this way. It is very, very different from shooting a SLR camera. Even from the Pentax or Bronica.

And will you get a TLR with or without a build-in light meter? Als an important factor for spontaneous or fast street photography.
    Bert from Holland
    I have a 28mm 2.8 that I barely use, two 50mm 1.8 (one is older and the other is more modern) and a 85mm 1.8. All nikon.

If I can keep the F3 and one 50mm, and selling or bater everything else for a TLR camera with one or two nice lenses, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I will look for a camera where you can change the roll of film easily on the street.

My personal case
    Rolleicord: Not so happy when changing the roll.
    Agfa Isolette(Solinar lens): Compare to Rolleicord it is way easier.

35mm film camera still wins for me in this regard.
    I haven't thought about it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    I would keep them. You think four cameras are too many? Poor dear.

35 mm can do things easily that the other formats can't do, or can do only with great difficulty.

If you are a decent printer, you'll be able to get excellent prints out of carefully exposed 35 mm frames. Yes, MF film is better to print from, but you can't print a photograph that was never taken.
    I actually got my 35mm cameras fin a period when I was often travelling, so the 35mm was nicer to carry around. But also because I expected that one day I would be doing wedding, after had experienced working on 2 weddings (with digital cameras though), and I wish to be prepered with 2 35mm and I really wanted to do on film. But I never manage to photograph any other wedding or events.

But what I tell to myself is that 35mm film cameras are cheap and there are a lot in the market. I will keep one if I can but if not I think it is easier to go back to 35mm when I wish.

I will now look for some reviews on TLR cameras on YouTube to help me decide which one is better for me.

Thank you all for the brainstorm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin