Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,481   Online: 1092

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    > 36 frames per roll is to many

Just buy 24 frames. Right now there is excellent deal on macodirekt: 2 euros for Kentmere 400/24. One keeper per roll is good - half keepers is excellent!

Good call for keeping F3 and 50mm. In any case you will get more money from other lenses - 50mm are cheap and good - not worth selling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I highly recommend a tlr for street photography. Do get one with a split finder. I shoot with a rolleicord and love it. Changing film is a huge downside. Takes forever. It is also another viewpoint, which i like but you may not. I think the view point is more intimate. That could just be me though. I do not recommend the Mamiya c3. I have one and it does not work for me street photo wise. I think rollei takes the cake.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have read that usually TLR lenses are very sharp.
    But I have not found good reviews on Yashica model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    But what I tell to myself is that 35mm film cameras are cheap and there are a lot in the market. I will keep one if I can but if not I think it is easier to go back to 35mm when I wish.
    That part is probably true. If you have a good F3, keep it, because there are few of them. They usually worked very hard - a mint one is exceedingly hard to find and will fetch a high price.

The main difference between TLR and other cameras is the height from which you'll be shooting, and how it affects how you interact with your subjects. I'm just over 6' tall, too high for many people subjects (especially children) unless I stoop or kneel. A TLR with WLF is a great help in that regard. So by all means go for it. Square format has its own charm, too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    I have read that usually TLR lenses are very sharp.
    But I have not found good reviews on Yashica model.
    You get what you pay for. Of course the more expensive Rollei models will be sharper. The Yashicas are pretty sharp but are in the $100-$200 ranges. Also, something to consider is that the Rolleis will probably be better maintained as people tend to baby them more and get them services more regularly.

Not award winning, but just some shots from a Yashica 124G
    http://www.weintraubphoto.com/2013/0...vegas-on-film/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may be happy with later Rolleicords or earlier Rolleiflex. They are rather very good in terms of performance.

Example: Rolleicord Vb with removable hood. I personally prefer Rolleicord V with focus knob and winder on right-hand side.

Average CLA cost you around Euro 250, which I personally recommend. If you need good focusing screen put an another Euro 200 to it. With that you will have a very good camera for a decade or two.

The later Rolleicords and earlier Rolleiflex may have Bayonet I, the accessories for it are cheaper compare to other Bayonet.

You may need,

- Lens shade:
    - Filters: Yellow and Green.
    - Closeup filter: Rolleinar I and II
    - Tripod: Rolleifix

Good luck. I was watching a Rolleicord Vb went for around Euro 120 in ebay.de. :-)
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    127 Format
    If your 36 exp roll is too long and you want to see your pictures sooner, take the camera into the dark bag and snip off the exposed film, load it into the tank and develop it.

You can trim a new leader on the remainder of your film, load it back in the camera and go again.

But you are going to want a small portable film camera for those times...
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have much money to spend so I told the guy from the seccond hand camera shop here to let me know when he get a Yashica.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    If your 36 exp roll is too long and you want to see your pictures sooner, take the camera into the dark bag and snip off the exposed film, load it into the tank and develop it.

You can trim a new leader on the remainder of your film, load it back in the camera and go again.

But you are going to want a small portable film camera for those times...

Holy crap. I've never thought of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You mentioned a TLR with a couple of lenses, this sounds like you are pointing towards a Mamiya C series camera. I've got a C220 and C300, they are both great cameras, with some fantastic sharp lenses although I do find them a bit prone to flair if I forget the lens hood. I wouldn't really call them small and light though. I do happily carry them around in a bag all day but they are still a big box and a couple of Kgs of weight.

If size is an issue, I would suggest the C220, rather than the C330. The C220 is appreciably lighter and slightly smaller in the hand than the C330. The benefits of the C330 are really only three that I can think of. The auto shutter cocking makes no real difference, I still cock my C330 by hand as sometimes the 55mm lens misfires whilst cocking so I don't take the chance. The parallax correction is nice but nothing you can't work without, the C220 has fixed guide lines which aren't quite as convenient but are not hard to work with. The only reason I've kept my C330 is the interchangeable focus screens. I do lots of landscapes and I like the grid line focus screen I've got for the C330. If you are doing mainly street, or are better than me at judging a horizontal than me, it isn't necessary.

Having said all of that, have you considered a MF rangefinder like the Mamiya 6 or 7, or Bronica RF645? You get a range or interchangeable lenses (some of the best in the world with the Mamiya 6 and 7). They are significantly smaller and lighter than a TLR, especially something like a C330 and street and travel is often seen as the natural home of the rangefinder camera.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin