Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,777   Online: 872

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Give 2 35mm away for a medium format?

I have already a Pentax 6x7 for landscape and Bronoca ETRs-I for portraits.
    My Nikon F3 and FM are my backups.

I like both specially for street photographs, but I think I have too many cameras and lenses and I would like to have something to replace them which I still could continuous with my street shots and travel. So I was wondering about change them for a twin lens camera (6x6). It is doesn't need to much space to store and carry in the streets and travels, nicer size negatives and I can use as my main camera for portraits and studio shots while I have my bronica as backup.

Whay Am I saying it here???
    Because I want to hear from others if they think I could miss some possible benefices from 35mm I could be forgetting now. A part from the fact that I will shoot less since I will have less frames per negatives. But is there anything else I could regret?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like and hate 35mm.

I like:
    Long rolls
    Small bodies (compared to MF)

I hate:
    Long rolls
    Bag tends to get filled with multiple lenses on outings
    Scanning is a chore due to long rolls

Given the above, I shoot way more MF (645, 6x6, and 6x7) than I do any 35mm. Of course, that doesn't keep me from selling all my 35mm. =/

So, my advice to you (but I don't take my own advice), if you don't use it much and don't see yourself using it a lot in the future, go ahead and trade it in for something you'll use.

Shooter
    35mm

TLR

TLR Rolleiflexes and some Yashicamats have 35mm adapters so you can shoot 120 or 35mm. The 35mm adapters utilize a vertical (portrait) format. They work great. A TLR with a 35mm adapter and a 70 or 80mm lens is great for portraits and you can sync at 1/500 sec., too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Forgot to add that if you keep to one film format, you only have to buy / keep one film format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    I think I have too many cameras
    You listed only 4 cameras and you say too many ? Don't get me started ...

Anyhow I think you will not get that much money for the nikons - and they are terrific cameras. And people change - maybe in a year or two you will need 35mm cameras, and then buying again...Just left them at home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if you need something that requires you to shoot more frames than a roll of 120 in a short period of time.

Also 35mm permits the use of larger aperture lenses.
    Last edited by dehk; 05-15-2014 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll tell you what I did. At some point I had a Hasselblad, RB67, FM2n and OM1. I shoot mostly 120 so thought I'll get rid of my FM2n (which I used with a 50/1.4 and a 35/2, both Zeiss) as it was a lot of money sitting around (the Zeiss, not the FM2n...) and have the OM1 for the rare occasion when I want 35mm. Turns out I really disliked my OM1 which is why I never used it when I had the FM2n. So I sold that thinking that I don't need 35mm at all. A month later I got myself a EOS 3 with an Ultron 40/2. It just has its place.

In the end, it really depends what you shoot and how. I use the MF for most stuff but use 35mm most for a bit more faster portrait stuff (eg kids). To be honest I really wish I kept the FM2+Zeiss 50, that was a sweet combo. But the EOS 3 with the 40 is really nice too, it is a fast camera and the lens is great too. I also really like sometimes just walking around and thinking "oh I still have another 32 shots left...cool".

So basically what I'm saying...well noone knows except you. I know, much help that is...
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    An other question: how much Nikon lenses do you have?
    I would personally keep the Nikon F3 with one good lens - if money isn't a problem.
    A TLR camera is very nice to use - but in some / many instances a F3 will work much quicker/better in street photography.

But before you do anything, try to shoot a few roles with a TLR first, before you buy one. I personally like it, but a lot of folks don't like shooting this way. It is very, very different from shooting a SLR camera. Even from the Pentax or Bronica.

And will you get a TLR with or without a build-in light meter? Als an important factor for spontaneous or fast street photography.
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I sold my 35mm cameras and lenses to concentrate on 6x6. I mostly use my Bronica SQ-A, but when I need to travel light or inconspicuously, I use my Minolta Autocord TLR. No one seems to notice the TLR when I'm taking pictures out on the street and it's deadly silent.

I don't miss 135 format at all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The only 35mm camera I shoot any more is my Stereo Realist. For me, my DSLR has replaced my 35mm camera. Digital is great for sports, family snap shots and Ebay pics.

Since I have an 8x10 camera with both 8x10 and 4x5 backs, I rarely shoot my medium format Hasselblad anymore.

To answer your question, I think it depends on you and what you like to shoot. We are all different.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin