Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,146   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marvin View Post
    "Rember the Flektagon i designed for 6x6 which is a slightly larger image circle than 6x4.5"
    Wouldn't the image circle required for these formats be identical?
    Nope! Draw out a 6x6.45 rectangle and then draw out a square 6x6. Then make an "X" by going from inside corner to inside corner. Then, with a compass or string, use the point where these lines intersect and draw a circle around each with the circle just touching the corners. You'll see for yourself the image circle for the 6x6 is larger than the 6x6.45. Not by much, but it is bigger. JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    Nope! Draw out a 6x6.45 rectangle and then draw out a square 6x6. Then make an "X" by going from inside corner to inside corner. Then, with a compass or string, use the point where these lines intersect and draw a circle around each with the circle just touching the corners. You'll see for yourself the image circle for the 6x6 is larger than the 6x6.45. Not by much, but it is bigger. JW
    Or stated simply, circumscribe a circle about each frame. Anyway yes, if I've done it right, I find that the 6x4.5 frame requires a circle of about 7.5 cm diameter, while the 6x6 requires one of almost 8.5 cm. (Measured exactly to the frame corners, but of course the coverage circles go further.) Anyway thanks for this, JW, because I previously had the same wrong thinking as Bob ("Wouldn't the image circle required for these formats be identical?").

Now that I think further on it, I guess I had this wrong too: I always thought the Mamiya RB/RZ needed a lens that could cover a notional 7x7 frame, since the 7cm dimension can be horizontal or vertical. Upon doing the drawing, one finds that you actually don't need to cover a notional 7x7 frame (needing about 9.9 cm diameter) but rather a "+" pattern of overlapping portrait and landscape 6x7 frames, which requires no greater coverage than a fixed portrait or landscape 6x7, so "only" a 9.2cm-diameter circle (still big).

--Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Argenticien View Post
    Or stated simply, circumscribe a circle about each frame. Anyway yes, if I've done it right, I find that the 6x4.5 frame requires a circle of about 7.5 cm diameter, while the 6x6 requires one of almost 8.5 cm. (Measured exactly to the frame corners, but of course the coverage circles go further.) Anyway thanks for this, JW, because I previously had the same wrong thinking as Bob ("Wouldn't the image circle required for these formats be identical?").

Now that I think further on it, I guess I had this wrong too: I always thought the Mamiya RB/RZ needed a lens that could cover a notional 7x7 frame, since the 7cm dimension can be horizontal or vertical. Upon doing the drawing, one finds that you actually don't need to cover a notional 7x7 frame (needing about 9.9 cm diameter) but rather a "+" pattern of overlapping portrait and landscape 6x7 frames, which requires no greater coverage than a fixed portrait or landscape 6x7, so "only" a 9.2cm-diameter circle (still big).

--Dave
    Except the RB needs to be able to cover 6x8 horizontally, because there is a 6x8 motorized back for it .

For 6x4.5, complicating things further, some of the Mamiya lenses have internal baffles that are essentially rectangular. As a result, the lenses cover more in one orientation than they would in the other, if there were some way of rotating the backs.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Argenticien View Post

--Dave
    Don't feel to terrible bad about thinking the way you thought. I think that way about a lot of things and sometimes, years later, find out I was full of beans. When I was in high school my counselor wanted me to take all "college prep" courses and I got stuck in all the science classes like biology, chemistry, physics along with algebra, geometry etc.. I hated it and was so jealous of the kids in shop class that had followed the "vocational arts" plan and were running lathes and pounding steel in shop class. Needless to say, I learned very little, hated school and still like pounding steel, welding etc.. The image circle thing becomes obvious when you do it, but being a smarty had nothing to do with it from this end that's for sure. JW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin