Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,488   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gradiant ND Filter for Rolleiflex?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a manufacturer that made a 39mm gradient ND filter system. I'm very curious about this. I bought a Bay 2 step up ring for my Rollei 3.5F. The filter size for it is a 39mm.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I might of found something that will work. What do you think?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_neutral.html

Todd

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heliopan did make them. They are described at their site but not listed at their pricelist any longer. You have to inquire at the plant for old stock.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I think I might of found something that will work. What do you think?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_neutral.html

Todd
    (That set is super cheap related to the original version made by Lee Filters.)

Such type of filter would be the best choise for a SLR, due to its inherent variabilty in positioning, and the ability to control its effect.
    For a TLR however a fixed position of the "edge" would be more advisable. Furthermore the protruding part may irritate view in the finder.

Keep in mind that there are at least three different basic types of gradual filters, varying in the location of the density slope.
    Last edited by AgX; 05-21-2014 at 10:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What surprised me was gradient filters were available over 100 years ago, I came across a Sanger-Sheperd advert from 1910 that included them. I also picked up a set of pre-WWII filters in a case with a graduate yellow.

I'd go for a modern Hitech or similar as suggested above that you can use on other cameras if needed.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just looked at a late price list from Helipan: they seem only to have offered sliding filters lately.
    But they should be able to custom-make a static filter (circular plate in 39mm ring).
    Last edited by AgX; 05-21-2014 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So maybe just stand slider solid ND filter kit would work better.. I could also spot the adjusted graduated filter on viewing lens and carefully move it to taking lens. What do you think?

Todd

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The effect, concerning that edge, is also dependand on the aperture.

Aside of that, transfering between lenses should work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yhea.. I'm kind of excited about the results that this would yield. I would most likly use it for landscapes. I have a friend that knows another friend that is a professional photographer that shoots Mountian bike images and his image where published in Bike Magazine a few times. He showed me a beautiful image of a graduated image in the foothills in while sunset. Of course this guy uses a digital camera. I was thinking.. OK, this would look awesome if I could somehow use this treatment on my Rollei for trip to Iowa. I need to decide pretty quickly if this will work so I can get on time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey guys, I committed to a Bay 1 step up ring to 52mm for my Rollei T. Also scored on Graduated ND filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin