Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1035

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Depends what you want to spend. Ikontas are way more expensive than nettars. I have a nettar in minty condition that I really enjoy using. It has the 4.5 novar triplet lens which is still really good stopped down a bit see below

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=35532

The good thing about the nettar is it is really easy to service. Lens elements come out easily just watch the position of the front element when you unscrew the front so you can get it back in the same position for focus. The whole shutter comes off by removing the retaining ring inside and you can then dunk the whole shutter in cleaning fluid. Mine was stuck solid when I got it and now works perfectly.

And they are cheap. Easy way to carry 6x6!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't bother buying a model with a rangefinder - coupled or not. Using scale focusing is easy, very fast and more than accurate enough. My technique is to imagine myself lying down on the ground repeatedly between me and the subject - I am almost exactly 2 metres tall. Over 8 metres/4 body lengths (25 feet) it really doesn't matter much - just call it infinity.

Once you haver mastered that, using a rangefinder is just more trouble than it is worth.

Shooter
    35mm
    Neither my Ikonta or Franka has a rangefinder, and I'm getting pretty good at estimating distance. If it's real critical or I'm using a large aperture I'll step off the distance, luckily my stride is darn close to a yard. One nice thing about Ikontas is that there is a marked hyperfocal setting. Set the red dot on the lens, and ret dot on the aperture scale (about F11) and everything from 13 feet to infinity is in focus. Everything over 45 just set to infinity.
    Nikon F, Nikkor-S 35mm F=2.8, Nikkor-S 50mm F=1.4

Gossen Luna Pro F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    marked hyperfocal setting
    There is on my nettar too

Shooter
    Medium Format

FREE RANGEFINDER FOR ANY CAMERA

It's more accurate than most too as the "eyes" are further apart than those on cameras...

http://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The advice above about film size is important. There are actually Kodak folders that use 120 film, but there are lots of other folders - not just Kodak - that use other, discontinued sizes.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The advice above about film size is important. There are actually Kodak folders that use 120 film, but there are lots of other folders - not just Kodak - that use other, discontinued sizes.
    Yes I have one not a Kodak though that shoots 5x4 inch images on roll films and it's surprisingly reasonable in size LD

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you're in the UK, a late model Agifold is worth a look. The lens is pretty decent when stopped down a bit, and also pretty nice when cranked all the way open:

img598, on Flickr

They're pretty simple, with easy to adjust uncoupled RF and extinction meter, and seem fairly well put together. Mine cost me around 15 quid IIRC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

I have a Kodak Tourist. It's designed for 620 film but I just re-roll 120 onto a 620 spool and works very well that way. It produces negative frames 6x8. It's actually my favorite folder. It's a zone focus camera though, not a range finder.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin