Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,823   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

An old folder to try?

Hi all,
    for MF I have an RB67 which I love but which is a bit of a beast to carry around on the off-chance of getting a picture or two. I recently saw an article about using an old folder, with some nice images and thought it would be something fun to try but I know very little about them. I can print monochrome up to 6x7, so would be looking for something 6x7, 6x6 or 6x4.5 ish and not too expensive, does anyone have any recommendations? I sometimes come across them in junk and vintage shops (usually as an interesting 'display' piece), and am reasonably competent at dismantling things (not so good on the reassembly side) but any pointers as to what to be careful of would be welcome as well.

Ta!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't think off-hand of any early folding cameras that shoot 6x7, the usual formats were 6x9, 6x6 and 6x4.5. You'd be looking at Plaubel Makina etc for 6x7 and they tend to be expensive.

Some of the 6x9 cameras can also shoot 6x6, you might find an Ensign 820 which has a decent post WWII coated Xpres lens and there's plenty of Ikontas around in various formats, most important is the quality of the lens. I have a 6x4.5 Ikonta with a Novar but although the lens looks excellent is in fact too soft and low contrast to use, something with a good clean Tessar would be better and make sure the shutter's smooth at all speeds particularly the slow ones.

I see a lot of good working folding cameras at camera fairs all very capable of making great images and at relatively low prices. I paid £2 for a post WWII Zeiss Ikon Nettar with a coated Novar, aside from the fact that the black paint is flaking off it has no trace of wear and tear.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are literally hundreds of old cameras for sale here in Shanghai. The used stores are just full of folders, TLR's etc. I just dont know which models are good, what price is fair, etc. This place could be a shoppers dream if they know what they are looking for. Sadly, I dont.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zeiss Ikon Nettar with f3.5 75mm lens is nice. Even cheap agfa isolette is good.

Example from Agfa Isolette that I paid less than 10 euros:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art/zg-21-60561733

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are plenty of Zeiss Ikon Netttars and Ikontas around from the late 1930s which are very cheap. Novar lenses are usually good when stopped down a bit and Tessars are generally excellent. Klio shutters are usually in good usable condition (Klio is Zeiss Ikon's name for a Prontor shutter) and at the price not worth servicing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of my favorites is the sturdy Zeiss Ikonta Super B 6x6 folder with 2.8 tessar lens, rangefinder linked focus, winder that stops at each frame. They are beautiful beasts that can make stunning images. Not really small enough for a pocket, maybe a large jacket pocket. They used to be expensive but I've seen some OK ones for <$200 recently.
    Another winner is the Agfa Super Isolette or it's twin the Ansco Super Speedex. Both have great lenses, 6x6, nice VF/RF's, RF focusing (I think it's a must for convenience), high quality cameras. Good luck, old folders are lots of fun to use, inexpensive, an produce wonderful large negatives that can be scanned on just about anything. Bob.
    Last edited by nanthor; 05-22-2014 at 05:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great advice, really helpful, thanks everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, what Zeiss folder exists that is 6 x 9, has a rangefinder, and a coated lens? What field of view lenses are available for something like that?

Cost under $200?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    Hi all,
    for MF I have an RB67 which I love but which is a bit of a beast to carry around on the off-chance of getting a picture or two. I recently saw an article about using an old folder, with some nice images and thought it would be something fun to try but I know very little about them. I can print monochrome up to 6x7, so would be looking for something 6x7, 6x6 or 6x4.5 ish and not too expensive, does anyone have any recommendations? I sometimes come across them in junk and vintage shops (usually as an interesting 'display' piece), and am reasonably competent at dismantling things (not so good on the reassembly side) but any pointers as to what to be careful of would be welcome as well.

Ta!
    If you cannot manage 6x9 and 6x6 will do and you don't want to spend a lot but still want high quality results then you could do a lot worse than an AGFA Isolette. Search on eBay, there are several on there right now...

Then there is the very amazing Voigtlander Perkeo II BUT expect to pay more than you would for the AGFA...

RR
    Last edited by Regular Rod; 05-22-2014 at 08:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually quite fancy having a go with 6x6, I know I can obviously crop my current 6x7 but I like the idea of being forced into thinking about composing within a square format.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin