Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,395   Online: 865

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well Leitz had already made the prototypes that eventually became the M series, KW had begun their SLR's that became the first full 35mm system camera after the war (it had a motor drive, Exacta's didn't). If KW and Ihagee had been in the Western sector after the war things might have been very different, KW eventually became Praktica and merged with Zeiss and later Ihagee.
    That's interesting, I didn't know that about Leica. Kodak had their Retina IIa that was produced in small numbers but cancelled because of the war. Franke & Heidecke would probably have put a 2,8 Rolleiflex 6x6 in production much earlier. It's also possible that lens coatings would have been common in the early 40's.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    That's interesting, I didn't know that about Leica. Kodak had their Retina IIa that was produced in small numbers but cancelled because of the war. Franke & Heidecke would probably have put a 2,8 Rolleiflex 6x6 in production much earlier. It's also possible that lens coatings would have been common in the early 40's.
    All WWII did was switch production at many camera manufacturers (around the world) away from cameras to military optical instruments and coatings were improved.

F & H couldn't produce a Rolleiflex with an f2.8 lens until Zeiss (West Germany) were fully established after WWII, initially F & H continued using CZJ Tesar and Triotar lenses. Better coatings were needed for the Planar (Zeiss) and Xenotar (Schneider). Both Zeiss & Schneider had fast f2.8 lenses before the war that F & H could have used on the Rolleis but presumably they felt that the Tessar was a better all round lens because it was far less susceptible to flare, Schneiders f2.8 75mm Xenar was 5 elements. The 75mm f2.8 5 Xenar is quite different to the post WWII 75mm f2.8 5 element Xenotar in design.

Ian

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    F & H couldn't produce a Rolleiflex with an f2.8 lens until Zeiss (West Germany) were fully established after WWII, initially F & H continued using CZJ Tesar and Triotar lenses. Better coatings were needed for the Planar (Zeiss) and Xenotar (Schneider). Both Zeiss & Schneider had fast f2.8 lenses before the war that F & H could have used on the Rolleis but presumably they felt that the Tessar was a better all round lens because it was far less susceptible to flare, Schneiders f2.8 75mm Xenar was 5 elements. The 75mm f2.8 5 Xenar is quite different to the post WWII 75mm f2.8 5 element Xenotar in design.
    Indeed. Franke & Heidecke made a few prototypes with 2,8 Tessars before the war, and the 2,8 A initially used pre-war Tessars that were actually made for Ikoflex III.

The five element Xenar was also used in the Kodak Retina as the 2,8/5 cm Xenon, and very different to the post-war 2,8 Xenon (a Double-Gauss design).
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "F & H couldn't produce a Rolleiflex with an f2.8 lens until Zeiss (West Germany) were fully established after WWII"

FWIW the second model of f2.8 Rolleiflex, the 2.8B, used the E. German Zeiss Jena Biometar lens

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool looking camera.. Send some film through it, see what you get.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello,

2 Super Ikonta's 530/2 (6 X 9 cm) with body release were made during the same period ; with Tessar f3,8 and 4,5 and only in Compur shutter (to 1/250).
    They also have the Albada finder and, on the back, the 2 windows like the later 531/2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 530_2-1.jpg   530_2-2.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello ToddB - you read my mind; I hope to use it this weekend.

Hi Andy38 - nice camera. It's got me curious because I understood that the Super Ikonta's were always given the best available shutter at the time of manufacture. I haven't come across that many with the top speed of 1/300 - 1/250 seems the norm and then when you get faster than 1/300, the shutter mechanism is then called Compur-Rapid. My 1/300 version seems to be in no-man's land...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ikontas are great cameras.

My Fiance' gave me her father's Zeiss Super Ikonta IV and it's a great camera. I sent it in for a CLA and it's like new. The selenium cell meter still works. The lens is razor sharp. You've got a real treasure.

Here's a pic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mainec...ac/5204075341/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow Mainecoonmaniac, who did the CLA - it looks immaculate! I might try and find someone to give the 530 a brush-up though over here in the UK, I've no idea where to find them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sadly, Essex camera is out of business. But Jurgen worked on this camera also. He fixed the shutter. He's the best. This is his website.

http://www.certo6.com/

Best of luck with your Ikonta.

Don
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin