Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,837   Online: 869

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    TLR..

Shooter
    35mm
    I would skip the mamiya 645. I have one, its a nice camera, but its too heavy for hiking long distances, the 45mm lens itself weighs quite a bit. You want something you can sling over your neck with a backpack on. Also fiddling with lens changes seems cool when you are in front of a computer, but when you are loaded down on the trail and stopto try to swap lenses in and out of a bag is pretty clumsy. I suppose LF people would laugh at that but its even more irritating if you have other people with you that just want to keep moving.

Go single lens, either TLR or rangefinder. I have been looking at the same question, but for traveling with two kids in Europe. No way I am lugging my mamiya around. I am hoping to score a good deal on a fuji wide angle myself. I havent held one, but comparing the size of the 45mm glass on the mamiya and the fuji 645w is pretty telling.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

I owned a Fuji 6x9 for a few years and found it to be an outstanding camera. At f/3.5, the 90mm lens is a little slow, but it is a well balanced camera that is easily hand-held. The lens was the sharpest I've ever used, bar none. I found the 90mm a little wide for my taste, and the shutter setup for long exposures was a pain. (You have to cover the lens and advance the film or cover the lens and advance the shutter speed ring to close it after time exposures. Fiddling with either method was annoying.) The plastic bodies on the later models is light and rugged. I sold mine only because I did not use it enough and built my Hasselblad system instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji GSW690III would be an ideal choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know the OP indicated he doesn't want an old folder (why?), but I'll just say that when I looked into an easily portable MF camera for hiking and biking, I ended up buying a Voigtländer Perkeo II. It's absolutely tiny, and the Color Skopar lens is very capable. My other alternative is my pre-war Rolleiflex (smaller and lighter than the later models), but it's much more obtrusive than the Perkeo. All depends on what your personal limits are for weight and size, I suppose.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    I know the OP indicated he doesn't want an old folder (why)
    I presume that he wanted something more "modern" or have a interchangeable lens form factor. He indicated that the Mamiya 7 was a first choice and such cameras weight about 1.3kg with an 80mm lens. So while portability was an issue, it didn't seem to be an over riding factor as the Fuji 6x7 and 6x9 cameras he was requesting information on weigh in at 1.5kg. My proposal was about 1.2kg with an 80mm 2.8 lens and 1.3kg with a wide angle 55mm 2.8 lens.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 05-27-2014 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about an old hassy.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Or an Xpan...
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Mamiya 6 is a good size idea, but it's 6X6.

If you're hiking, I'd thing you'd want 6X9 for the scenery.

Another idea is XPan - both square and panoramic possibilities.

Texsport

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Fuji GSW690III would be an ideal choice.
    +1

RR

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin