Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,402   Online: 726

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Yep! A Fuji GSW690III with a 65mm lens is very light compared with other cameras in its class and the quality of the image is very high. A 6cm x 9cm frame will render lots of detail.
    'tis an ill wind that blows no minds...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about a Fuji GA645W ?
    Cheap, rangefinder camera which means compact (for MF) and light with amazing 45mm f/4 wideangle (leagues above the SLR wides).
    Being 645 means more shots per roll, which would be good for hiking.

Also, integrated lightmeter (and aperture priority) and quartz timed shutter, which means great accuracy (compared to mechanical ones) for slides.
    It's motorized and autofocus, but during hiking I doubt the sound will disturb anyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TLR, a light one. Yashica MAT would be perfect for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi.
    A folder 6x6 camera like the Hapo 66-E ... I love this oldie ;-) Its Enna Haponnar 75mm f/3.5 lens is wonderful !
    Regards from Spain
    Analogue flickr
    Thank you for this forum !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do as the Romans did: walk first and make pictures later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used the Fuji GW670II & GSW690III on some hikes in the Rocky Mtn National Park and a Rolleicord on other hikes there. I am very pleased with the results from all of these cameras.
    This summer I will be carrying the 'Cord and the GSW690III (the GW670II will be headed out for servicing) up on the trails of RMNP.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i just spent 3 days hiking in and through the Yosemite region. I brought all my med format gear for tripod use, but when I went on a more serious hike I brought the fuji 645zi. perfect camera for the job and fits nicely in my cargo shorts pockets along with several rolls of fill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I am going to the UK in the fall to walk St. Cuthbert's Way. Although I am mainly a LF guy, it would be too much to backpack an 8x10 or even a 4x5 for this hike (at my age), so I am thinking of a lightweight MF. My current MF camera is an RB67 and it is a bit of pig to carry on a long hike. I can't afford a Mamiya 7 at this point, which would be my first choice. So what is left? I don't want an older folder and I don't need TTL. Folks keep telling me about the Fujis - 6x7 and 6x9 - which sound quite interesting and affordable. Any thoughts on these and others I don't know about? .
    I use large format but have never needed to carry one on a hiking trip.

I use 35mm but would never carry one on a hiking trip were I needed to shoot black & white because I have never been satisfied with the image quality of small format black & white.

I have used a Yashica TLR and a Mamyia 220 TLR for medium format black & white work and loved them both. As far as image quality, I would never have hesitated taking either one on a hiking trip. However, I would hesitate exposing the bellows of my 220 to hostile field conditions.

When I needed to replace my Mamiya 220, I would have done so with another Mamiya TLR but Mamiya had stopped producing them. The Mamiya 7 rangefinder was my next choice but it was too expensive for my budget, plus, I was mad at Mamiya for dropping their TLR cameras.

The Pentax 645 SLR was my second choice. The equipment recommendations of an Alaskan landscape photographer I met greatly influenced this choice. However, I did not pick the Pentax 645 because I needed more film real estate than the 645 format provided.

I went with my third and fourth choice, the Fuji 6x9cm rangefinder with a wide-angle lens and a Fuji 6x7cm rangefinder with a normal lens. These two cameras have given me what I need. I recommend either or both for capturing high-quality images on a hiking trip.

By the way, when I made my selection, the Fuji rangefinders were still in production. I was very disappointed when Fuji stopped producing these excellent medium format cameras.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5266483453/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuji Rangefinders sml.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I went hiking couple month ago and couldn't find a better companion than my folding billy record III. I highly recommend folding camera as they are as compact as you can get....without compromising the negative size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used or owned many of the cameras suggested above. A lot of them were chasing a larger negative (6x7 or 6x9), but I always end up back at the Rollei TLR. I find it the most adaptable to the range of photographic situations that travel presents. It is surprisingly light and compact. It delivers a very high quality image. Of all the cameras I have carried around on my travels, it is the one camera that fellow travellers have been jealous of.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin