Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,289   Online: 835

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

MF for hiking trip

I am going to the UK in the fall to walk St. Cuthbert's Way. Although I am mainly a LF guy, it would be too much to backpack an 8x10 or even a 4x5 for this hike (at my age), so I am thinking of a lightweight MF. My current MF camera is an RB67 and it is a bit of pig to carry on a long hike. I can't afford a Mamiya 7 at this point, which would be my first choice. So what is left? I don't want an older folder and I don't need TTL. Folks keep telling me about the Fujis - 6x7 and 6x9 - which sound quite interesting and affordable. Any thoughts on these and others I don't know about? .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would get a TLR.

Shooter
    35mm

agree

I agree. Nuff said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I agree. Nuff said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I am going to the UK in the fall to walk St. Cuthbert's Way. Although I am mainly a LF guy, it would be too much to backpack an 8x10 or even a 4x5 for this hike (at my age), so I am thinking of a lightweight MF. My current MF camera is an RB67 and it is a bit of pig to carry on a long hike. I can't afford a Mamiya 7 at this point, which would be my first choice. So what is left? I don't want an older folder and I don't need TTL. Folks keep telling me about the Fujis - 6x7 and 6x9 - which sound quite interesting and affordable. Any thoughts on these and others I don't know about? .
    A Fuji GSW690 is an absolutely SPECTACULAR landscape camera. Find one in good shape and it will pretty much deliver the goods. I took a GSW690 to Asia as well as across the US. 24" X 36" prints looked as good as anything I have ever made. I can't recommend this camera enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what's ur prejudice against an older folder? A Super Ikonta B of post-war vintage would only set you back a few hundred dollars, has prime optics and excellent mechanics and will do as good a job as a mamiya 7 without the metering, which you probably don't need anyway.

if it were me and i had to pick a fuji, i'd go with the 67 just for film "economy" and a more universally useful negative size. I've not seen anything negative about them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's a Rolleiflex 2.8C next to a Fuji GS690 (the 670 is the same body, just different mask and frame spacing). The Fuji lens can't be seen here but it projects forward a good distance-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6412625943_66e076b76d_z.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	88615

If you've been shooting 4x5 and 8x10, I'd recommend getting the Fuji. Unless you've been cropping your large format to squares all these years. Fuji also made a 680 model.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 05-26-2014 at 11:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also will go for an TLR.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I went Egypt, I packed a Zeiss Ikon 6x9 on 120 folding camera. Lightweight and excellent picture quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you're hiking weight really is an issue. I would bring a TLR.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin