Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,321   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleiflex.. Has it always been german made?

Hey guys,

I had a customer come by at work, and we started talking cameras and showed him my Rollei 3.5f he was in awe of he mention that he had a GX version. He mention that Rollei contracted out at some point and made japenese version/Parts/Lens. Anyone know foresure?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They made their 35mm cameras & lenses outside Germany, but Rolleiflex cameras were always high end and made in Germany.

Ian

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    They did for sure with the Rollei 35 (Rollei Singapore). Not sure about the SLRs and I think the TLRs ware always made in Germany.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    They did for sure with the Rollei 35 (Rollei Singapore). Not sure about the SLRs and I think the TLRs ware always made in Germany.
    Some 35mm SLRs (maybe all?) were also made in Singapore. The 35mm P&S were re-branded Fuji's.

I don't know about the 120 SLR's but I presume that all of those were made in Germany, as well as the 120 TLRs.

Shooter
    35mm

My good man

Vas is los? I've owned two Rolleiflexes -- one I got in 1956 and the other one (60 years old) I just recently got. I have always kept an eye on the 'Flexes and do not believe any were made anywhere but Germany. I do have a Yashicamat that some people say has lenses made in Germany and some say they were German designs made in Japan.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The expansion from niche-market model policy to serving most different markets necessitated the expansion of manufacturing capacity as well as reduction of wage cost.

Result was a small OEM production at a japanese manufacturer and, more important, the installation of an own (huge!) plant in Singapore.
    Rollei were the second german manufacturer to go abroad (after Leitz) and the first to go to a low-wage country.

The Rollei Singapore plant had about twice as many employees as the german Agfa camera plant which already served a mass market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Vas is los? I've owned two Rolleiflexes -- one I got in 1956 and the other one (60 years old) I just recently got. I have always kept an eye on the 'Flexes and do not believe any were made anywhere but Germany. I do have a Yashicamat that some people say has lenses made in Germany and some say they were German designs made in Japan.
    The Lumaxar lens is a tessar design lens that Yashica bought from Rodenstock while they retooled their plant to make Yashinon lenses.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rolleiflexes were indeed made in Singapore. The 35mm SL 35 E (the last model of that model range)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of us always think of Rolleiflex cameras as being TLRs and MF SLRs, I'd forgotten that the 35mm SLRs also had the "flex" part added to the name and wasn't there a 126 Rolleiflex as well ?

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Wasn't the SL66 made in Singapore?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin