Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,829   Online: 848

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yashicamat 124G

Shooter
    35mm

Yashicamat 124G

I picked up a 124G some time back, and have yet to be able to check it out. It has no battery cover, so the price was low. I've had no luck finding just a battery cover for the thing - Mark Hama wanted to do the CLA, without giving me a price for the cover so I could even see if the CLA was worth doing. Any ideas? I sure would appreciate it.

Shooter
    35mm

cover charge

I would be very surprised if you cannot use the YM without putting a battery in it or having a battery cover. The little 1.3 v. button battery, I am sure, powers the light meter but not the camera. I have two Yashicamats sans any lightmeters and a Rolleiflex with no light meter, too. To me the built-in light meters are not very good anyway. There's the Sweet 16 rule and of course, hand held light meters. Don't let anybody kid you, Yashicamats are fine cameras and I am speaking as a guy who got his first Rolleiflex in 1956.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just use a hand held meter. The camera only utilizes the battery for the meter, the rest is mechanical.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. Those are alternatives, of course, but I get a little anal about having things work right - a personality flaw. My dad taught me TLRs on his Yashica. Of course, he didn't let me use his Rolleiflex until I was 13 or so, and then, only if he were right there to "supervise". Everything seems to work on the 124G, so I think I'll just have to load it and see what happens. That's half the fun anyway!

Shooter
    35mm

scrounge

You can try out the 'Mat without the battery cover and if it works do what a zillion of us poor devils out here in Dig****land are doing -- scrounge for old parts. I have a Kodak 35 rangefinder made in about 1945 that is missing a small part, the cover thingamabob that sits on the top of the lens/shutter assembly. I'll probably have to buy a whole camera to get that part but I am looking. You never know. Film shooters are optimists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tlr meters are so wide-field they're only advisory, at best. Put some black tape over the battery compartment and take pictures.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would try ordering a battery cover again. Just use a new email address and request a price. Maybe this time Mr. Hama is in sell the mood to the part. He sold me a small black plastic part for mine...for $20, but not available anywhere else.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm
    And this is why I'm retuning to film. You can always find a way around a problem. Thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't worry about the battery, shoot with an external meter (you can even download one onto your smart phone), or just use Sunny-16.

My first TLR was a Yashica-12, great cameras!
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought I should add that replacing the battery wire in this camera is a piece of cake, in case it is corroded. After I got mine working I carried a meter with me for a few rolls for comparison. Now I dont carry one because I find it rather dependable.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin