Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,376   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ziyanglai

Light leaks on B&W but not color film

I'm encountering a really really weird situation right now. I have an old Franka Rolfix 6x9 folding camera. It's in great cosmetic and mechanical condition. Few weeks ago, I shot a roll of HP5 400 pulled to 200 and after I developed it, there were light leaks along the edges of the film. I have posted about this. Details here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...ght-leaks.html

I went on a trip to The Wave, Vermillion Cliffs few days ago and shot 2 rolls of RVP50 and 1 roll of Ilford FP4 125. **BOTH ROLLS WERE LOADED AND SHOT IN SIMILAR LIGHTING CONDITION (Bright outdoor, loading the camera with my back facing the sun, so film was loaded in my shadow). And here's the weird part, the color film (RVP50) came out perfect with no light leaks at all. But the FP4 125 came out like last time, with light leaks along the top and bottom edge of the film. Color film was processed professionally at my local lab. B&W film processed myself (both times, HP5 400 and FP4 125). I can assure you that this is not a procedural issue. I have developed hundreds of rolls of film and never screwed up one (yes, not even the first time.. well.. except a few times where I didn't think I got any good photos and just threw away the film).

So can anyone explain this to me? Light leaks on B&W film but not on the color one?

P.S. both film were purchased from the same place (B&H) at the same time. New film. Unopened.

Shooter
    35mm

different

So, then, what did you do different when you shot b&w and when you shot color? Hummm. Well, I presume you used a different setting of shutter speed and aperture. The b&w is faster. That is as far as I get.

ziyanglai
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    So, then, what did you do different when you shot b&w and when you shot color? Hummm. Well, I presume you used a different setting of shutter speed and aperture. The b&w is faster. That is as far as I get.
    Nothing. They were both shot in pretty much same condition. The B&W is indeed faster, but that shouldn't mean that only the faster film has light leaks. If there are light leaks, the RVP50 should have it as well, just less significant.

ziyanglai
    Here's a photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you dont show us the leaked film -- is the light leak inside the picture frame area, or outside it? is the light leaking around the film spool flange, or through the bellows?

WOOPS -- ok, you do show us.
    that is light leaking around the film flange after you take the film out of the camera. Keep the film in a dim place, make sure it is wound tightly on the spool -- some types of film are stiffer than others and don't wind as tightly.

leak is not the camera. it is the film flange. As long as the fogged area doesn't reach the image area, no big deal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    you dont show us the leaked film -- is the light leak inside the picture frame area, or outside it? is the light leaking around the film spool flange, or through the bellows?

WOOPS -- ok, you do show us.
    that is light leaking around the film flange after you take the film out of the camera. Keep the film in a dim place, make sure it is wound tightly on the spool -- some types of film are stiffer than others and don't wind as tightly.

leak is not the camera. it is the film flange. As long as the fogged area doesn't reach the image area, no big deal.
    yep, that's it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the colour was developed at a lab, the b/w at home. So something in the home developing would be by far the most likely answer. Not a procedural issue but a leak somewhere. Crack in the developing tank or tank top? A leak in your film changing tent?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The main difference appears to be in the processing, not in the loading or use in the camera. So I agree with nwilkins.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm

assume

I asume the color film you are talking about is color slide film. Are any of the letters or the film frame numbers obscured, absent or not right? I shot color slides for years and years but cannot remember a roll that had camera light leaks. But the frame edges are dark not light and I wonder how a light leak would affect that part.

Shooter
    35mm

web site

I found a website that talked about errors caused by processing color slides or other problems. The site shows a color slide frame fogged by a camera light leak. The photo is fogged by the black area around the film is perfectly fine. I assume the black area around the frames and the words and numbers are built into the film and set before shooting and processing the film, and they won't show any change from a camera light leak.
    The site is for the Microscopy Research Center.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin