Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 767

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Filters for Zeiss Planar 80mm f/2.8?

What filter adapter do I need for the old chrome Planar lens? It has a bayonet fitting, so is this what's referred to as a bay 50 or bay 60? The lens cap is around 60mm across, does this make it a bay60?

If so, what adapters to be able to use screw-in filters do I need? Ideally I would like a 58mm or 67mm adapter so I can use what I've already got - do they exist, do they still make them, and where can I get them from?

Failing that, can I go the filter holder route (eg Cokin) - what do I need?

Shooter
    35mm

Bayonet 50

The older Planars for a Hasselblad take the bayonet 50 mount. If this is the only lens that you will own then those filters would be fine. If you are interested in acquiring in the future additional lenses than I would consider buying a compendium lenshood. Hasselblad offers one as do others such as Lee..Calumet. I must admit a prejudice as far as Cokin and other thick resin filters are concerned. Unfortunately, this is not founded whatsoever in actually using such equipment. I have used the Lee polyester and find them satisfactory they are tougher than gelatin filters and are less expensive. Kodak gelatine filters work well but are extremely easy to damage and I believe over priced.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you have one of the "C" lenses -- with Compur shutter? If so, I think they take a "Bay(onet) 50" filter. Many manufacturers make "Bay50" to - probably 67mm would be appropriate - adapters, enabling the use of screw-in filters.

I have one made by Hoya; I'm sure Tiffen and B&W make them as well.

Check the Tiffen web site - I think it is Tiffen.com.

Also ... Cokin provides a "Bay50" - "P" (I would strongly suggest the "P" series) adapter ring. I use those as well. They have the advantage of a built-in (?) - auxilliary(?) lens shade.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes, it does have Compur shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use the bay 50 to 67mm riing also get a series 8 retaining ring. It too is 67mm. Then you have the option of either series 8 which you can use on several lenses (inexpensively) or 67mm threaded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I already had several Nikon 52mm filters so I got a bay50 to 52mm adapter and continue to use the 52mm filters for both this lens and the Nikon lenses. I also use ascrew-in lenshood with very satisfactory results. I use the camera on a tripod and if the sun is shining on the lens in spite of the hood and is not in the ground glass image I will shade the lens with the dark slide.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    After much searching on the internet, I only found one company that sold new bay50 adapters. They don't do 67mm adapters, but I got a 58mm, which is great as this is the size I already use. The lens diameter (if it did have a screw) is 58mm - I expect this should be fine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin