Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,439   Online: 983

Shooter
    35mm

Broken Take Up Spool - Ihagee Folding Camera.

I have a Ihagee Ultrix Folding Camera that is missing a bit of metal that holds and spins the take up spool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6177_2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	634.3 KB 
ID:	89649
    Where the piece is missing.

Name:	IMG_6285.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	483.6 KB 
ID:	89648
    The piece pictured in another camera.

Any help on how to replace or where to buy a new piece would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Your camera is 170 dollars at ebay , very expensive camera , may be you can order from 3d print services if you can figure out its 3d shape.
    If your part is rotating , may be you can figure out a part to enhance its lenght and touch the spool. Or you can attach something to spool , a wooden plywood piece shaped by small knife and polished with 1000 grade paper could work.

Wait the other answers also.

good luck.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would be tempted to cut/grind a small piece of metal or hard plastic and glue it in place. If you aren't a DIYer, and if you are in the USA, try Ken (repairman extrodinare) at http://www.baldmtn.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Koche View Post
    I have a Ihagee Ultrix Folding Camera that is missing a bit of metal that holds and spins the take up spool.

Name:	IMG_6177_2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	634.3 KB 
ID:	89649
    Where the piece is missing.

Name:	IMG_6285.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	483.6 KB 
ID:	89648
    The piece pictured in another camera.

Any help on how to replace or where to buy a new piece would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks
    That's not actually "broken" - the rectangular piece with angled corners has simply loosened and fallen out, for whatever reason. It would be a simple job (for someone who can use a file and saw) to make a new piece from sheet steel or brass of the appropriate thickness and fasten it with one of the stronger grades of Loctite. If you're going to DIY, disassemble the spindle so you don't Loctite everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the thing to the local hobby shop or craft store & buy a piece of appropriately sized brass.
    It's hard to guess thickness from a picture but if they don't have a single piece thick enough use thin pieces and layer it up with epoxy.
    I don't believe Loctite would work well to hold the beast together. Epoxy would be my choice.
    The way this fits together I'd mix up a little bit and basically just wipe it on the newly made key. If you can see runs when you put it on IT'S TOO MUCH! You want barely enough to notice.

If you can give me accurate dimensions (top & bottom width, height and thickness) of the key I can make one up for you.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might be lucky and find that an aluminium rule is the right thickness for that slot, in which case cutting it to size and shape with a small hacksaw or Dremel will get you the part you want, then epoxy into place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Take the thing to the local hobby shop or craft store & buy a piece of appropriately sized brass.
    It's hard to guess thickness from a picture but if they don't have a single piece thick enough use thin pieces and layer it up with epoxy.
    I don't believe Loctite would work well to hold the beast together. Epoxy would be my choice.
    The way this fits together I'd mix up a little bit and basically just wipe it on the newly made key. If you can see runs when you put it on IT'S TOO MUCH! You want barely enough to notice.

If you can give me accurate dimensions (top & bottom width, height and thickness) of the key I can make one up for you.
    You must only have experience with the stuff you get at homeripoff...

Personally, I'd put a taper pin through and rivet the small end, but most folks have neither the skills nor tools to do that.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-17-2014 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd buy a strip of aluminum (steel is better) and use a hacksaw, Dremel and then some sandpaper to create a new one. This shouldn't be a complex job. You know the approximate dimensions, so you just need to create a little template and start cutting.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomf2468 View Post
    I would be tempted to cut/grind a small piece of metal or hard plastic and glue it in place.
    My words too.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can get a longish piece of stock the same size in stainless or brass you could bend it hard and straighten it or forge a dent with some creative hammering so that it was distorted in one spot. That spot would be wide enough or bent enough to require minor force to hold it in, then cut to length. Plus epoxy or glue that could assist in holding it.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin