Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,680   Online: 1130

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    The YashicaMat did just what it was supposed to do - give you a cheap way to explore medium format and find out if it is for you.
    AKA a gateway drug to MF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    AKA a gateway drug to MF.
    Shhhhhh.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tell us how guilty you feel about the new camera after you've run 100 rolls through it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Resistance is futile, you are being assimilated.

Use that 6x7 for a few months and then see how you feel.

My MF addiction started with a Rolleiflex that was my only MF camera for about 25 years. Then I got a deal on a Hasselblad. Then a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder. Sold the 6x9 because I didn't use it enough and I never bonded with it. Bought more Hasselblad gear. Not too long ago a friend of mine got me hooked on cheap MF cameras. I now own two Agfa Clacks, a Zeiss Box Tengor and a folding rollfilm camera. One of the Clacks is going to become a pinhole camera.

My most-used camera out of the bunch? The Rollei. It's easy to toss in a camera bag for a short outing. Most flexible? The Hasselblad. Most fun? Any of the "junk store" cameras.

Enjoy the ride!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoy a Rolleiflex, Yashica, and Holga. Haven't got into Hasselblads or rangefinders. thankfully. MF can be a gateway drug to LF as well. I'm pretty much done buying MF gear as I've got what I want, but still buy and use plenty of film. I'm about half MF and half LF for film use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As recommended above shoot the Fuji 6x7 for a month or two and see how you like it.

If you don't like it then sell and figure that any money you lose was a cheap rental fee.

I have done this with both medium format and large format cameras and lenses. If I think I will like something better than what I have then I buy it at a good price if I can afford it (no Mamiya 7's or Ebony 4x5's ). I'll compare both cameras and keep the one I like the best. Sometimes I lose a little bit of money but it's worth it for the knowledge and fun shooting something different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you would have regretted not buying it even more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro35 View Post
    Had the very same experience. I use 35mm and I had been looking for a fast wide-angle lens for a long time, even though I already own one. But I fell in the trap of "this is sharper". Well, I bought a new lens in the end, only to sell it back couple of weeks after. It was a good experience, I think I know better how to look for equipment I really need. What I´m trying to say is, don´t worry, we all make buying mistakes or misjudgements. And often we tend to have more than what we actually use.
    I guess you're right, though these are costly mistakes =_=;;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    Medium format had me started with a YM 124G. It has been a really nice one, with no marks at all, and my GAS could not resist on it. A year after, me too got into buying a like new GF670w, and while caring for it perhaps too much for it looks, I have not enjoyed many rolls with it. It is that stupid fear of accidental damage to something you like too much.
    Then, a while after I have bought a like new Lubitel 2. It is by no means on par with the other two, but for just 10 buckazoids I had given no thought on it. I have to confess that this is the MF camera I have enjoyed more. Not caring much of what might happen to it, I have carried it almost everywhere and it did pretty well. Some time later it broke. No sorrow at all, for a fiver I got me another one and that keeps going.
    Selling the other two had crossed my mind many times, especially when being financially in bad shape, but recalling being sorry for letting beloved things go and not being able to buy them again put me back in place. Yes, I have two cameras that I do not use much, but I cannot let them go either.
    It is definitely a problem, possibly objects taking filling up psychological (emotional?) gaps, but...
    Hah! I'll probably be doing the same thing! In the end buying up a cheaper lubitel and shooting with that instead most of the time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin