Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,358   Online: 720

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Nothing wrong with owning several cameras if photography is your serious interest/hobby/relaxation.

I have several, 35mm and MF, bought over the years and all of which are used from time to time. My only fault is deciding which to take on photo outings...it's too easy to think "I'll take this one with slide film, and this one with colour neg. And, oh, I'd better take this one as well in case I want to take some B&W shots. And, oh, better just put the P&S digital one in the bag for any quick record snaps. And that reminds me, I'm trying out the shutter on that old one I've been given, pop that in as well ! "

Then I just get bogged down not knowing which to use!

I really try nowadays to take one camera with one type of film, and just concentrate on getting good shots on that ! Much easier to carry, as well.
    And then realized you need a forklift to carry them all haahahah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    "Just one camera" is all I took on a recent trip up north - Still 10Kg of gear that I didn't want to go lugging up a mountain (but I did anyway).

dreamingartemis: Once you get the camera in your hand and start using it, any pangs of guilt will disappear and you'll marvel at the size of the negatives. After a while, you may get the hankering to try a larger format
    Sounds like what my mentor is doing right now by going into large format film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    It's hopeless, you are well and truly addicted now, embrace it.

As for the GF670w it will be a nice complement to the Yashica, very sharp optics that rival 4x5 in image quality.
    I keep telling myself that, but there's that nagging voice of truth in the back of my mind, you'll end up just buying a mamiya later~~~~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    The YashicaMat did just what it was supposed to do - give you a cheap way to explore medium format and find out if it is for you. You discovered that you do like it and so bought yourself one of the best on the market. There's nothing wrong with this picture.
    Except when my drybox keeps bulging and wallet keeps thinning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    tell us how guilty you feel about the new camera after you've run 100 rolls through it
    I intend to do that! I already ran 20 rolls through the yashica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    I think you would have regretted not buying it even more.
    That's how I started to think when I saw the ebay listing....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a GF670W and love it dearly. It is a phenomenal camera. The last of its kind I'm afraid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By experience I can say that one can only judge in the long run what was a good deal and what was not. It used to happen that I bought things I was very fond of at first but later realized they were absolutely unnecessary. On the other hand there are things which I regretted buying first, but after some time they proved really useful to me. Only time can tell...

PS: I would not sell the TLR!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I contracted that buy it bug about the time Meg Whitman was turning the buyer beware flea market into the over priced strip mall it is today. I started a few years earlier purchasing a Nikon FA followed by a new F4s a year or so later. Next I picked up a Graphic View II but traded it for a Sinar F1 at the same dealer a few months later. I was searching out the camera(s) I liked and wanted. Then the bug hit and 3 years later I had 14 4x5 cameras, Press, SLR, and a view, 2 8x10 view cameras, a lot of lens, and several film holders. When the bank broke I was able to sell off the majority for close to what I paid. A electronic recording medium SLR keeps trying to entice me to empty my bank account as do a few of the previously mentioned camera models. The only sure way to break the addiction is not to visit that over priced strip mall that has an occasional flea market table with a camera that appears to be a good buy but is money pit looking for a sucker.

When worse comes to worse I ask myself " what do you plan to do with it?" Just having it for the sake of having it looses out. Potential to make money from it or with it wins.
    But, by all means, if you really want it buy it and don't question the decision to do so.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My first MF was and still is my yashica mat 124g. I got it for less than 100eur and had a very stiff aperture knob. It had been smashed against the ground and the front focusing plate had been bent and was putting pressure on the knob. I repaired it myself, among a few other broken things it had, I got close up lenses for it, I put new leather on it, I put my soul on it.

And so I got my favorite prints, and shots from it. But then one day I betrayed it, ...

I decided to have the option to shoot bw and color simultaneously, so I went and spend 500eur on an ARAX 88. Heavy as small child, with a full set of zeiss lenses 100% working. And now I look back and realize that I will never like my Kiev/Arax88 as much as my yashica. I made no connection to it and the option to shoot color has not been a plus enough to justify the money spent or the sweat of carrying it around on the summer (when I usually shoot color). So yea I it is disease, but one that depends on value, not price...

At the beg. the Yashica seemed like a bad idea, because it was "defect" but It turned out to be the best deal yet (till last week, got a Sonnar 2.8 Rollei35 for 10eur in a flea-market that I also repaired, giving me that same strange connection to it. ) So here comes the difference between price and value.

What I learned, if its cheap and you repaired and use it, the gear becomes invaluable to you. If its 100% working and redundant, it just another piece of gear that you will not hesitate to sell away as soon as possible if a good offer comes by. My yashica/Rolley35S are now part of my family heritage. I will have them engraved and passed down.
    "The Medium is the Message"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin