Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,230   Online: 811
      
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    You have G.A.S. [Gadget Acquisition Syndrome]. The only cure it to keep buying cameras, lenses, film, tanks, chemicals, paper, and more and more and more!

    You are so screwed! You are one of us now.
    Amen brother!

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I used to have a bad case of G.A.S. I still have a lot of my gear, but I have sold off a bit and simplified my kits around what I do actually use. One of the cameras I have that helped me see this is my Rolleiflex. The pure simplicity of a single camera with just one focal length helped me realize that chasing options was really an excuse for not making images. Options are nice, of course, but I really don't need that many, especially the way I shoot. I'm not a sports photographer, I'm not an event photographer, and I'm generally not a landscape photographer. I don't need wides or extreme teles. Using that "normal" lens on the Rollei helped me see that. Give your Yashica a chance to have that effect on you - put a couple dozen rolls through it and get to know it. I had the Rollei for maybe a year, maybe more, before I gave it a fair chance. The interface was odd compared to what I was used to (Hasselblad/RB67), the twin-lens thing felt strange, and so on. But after really taking the time to play with it, I realized how pure and straightforward a tool it is, and how it just gets out of the way of making pictures. I have the control I want with it, it makes pictures that look the way I see.

    This may not happen for you with the Yashica, but you won't know until you use it. If after six months of regular shooting, it hasn't clicked with you, you can sell it on for nearly what you paid for it, and consider it a really inexpensive long-term rental. Some people love TLRs, some hate them. Some love waist-level focusing, some hate it. I found that I do love mine, and keeping things simple that way inspires me to be a better photographer.
    Oddly enough some people come to me on buying advice and this is the same thing more or less I tell them. How odd it feels having the same advice given to me when I am faced with such problem.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    246
    Well thanks to everyone for offering me their wonderful advice and the GF670w has finally arrived safe and out and works right out of the box. It feel solid,not as solid as the yashica mind you, but strong enough for my needs and not like some other flimsy medium format camera in the same weight category.

    The deal was pretty good that I was worried it was a scam only when I won the bid. But the seller was genuine and given threw in 2 rolls of Velvia 100 into the package free of charge! I kinda feel guilty thinking it was a possible scam.

    So I loaded a roll portra 160 and went out shooting. Hopefully I'll be skilled enough to take wonderful pictures with this camera.

  4. #44
    Dr Croubie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    rAdelaide
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,556
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Hopefully I'll be skilled enough to take wonderful pictures with this camera.
    You don't need skill, having a better camera is all you need.


    Isn't that how this works? Someone please say "yes", I'm kind of counting on it...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

    f/64 and be there.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    You don't need skill, having a better camera is all you need.


    Isn't that how this works? Someone please say "yes", I'm kind of counting on it...
    Okay that really helped brighten me this morning !

  6. #46
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    You don't need skill, having a better camera is all you need.


    Isn't that how this works? Someone please say "yes", I'm kind of counting on it...
    My opinion too. My photographs improved with the purchase of a Nikon F100, Hasselblad 503 CX, Hasselblad 903, 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic, and a 4"x5" Graflex Model D.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,258
    Images
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Well thanks to everyone for offering me their wonderful advice and the GF670w has finally arrived safe and out and works right out of the box. It feel solid,not as solid as the yashica mind you, but strong enough for my needs and not like some other flimsy medium format camera in the same weight category.

    The deal was pretty good that I was worried it was a scam only when I won the bid. But the seller was genuine and given threw in 2 rolls of Velvia 100 into the package free of charge! I kinda feel guilty thinking it was a possible scam.

    So I loaded a roll portra 160 and went out shooting. Hopefully I'll be skilled enough to take wonderful pictures with this camera.
    Be sure to post your results. Not too many of us GF670W owners around!

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    246
    Okay, so here is the review so far,

    It's beautifully crafted piece of camera. While it looks big (although it's smaller than most major MF cameras), it's very lightweight.

    The shutter is INSANELY quiet! The only way to know that the shutter had fired, was the red LED light going off in the viewfinder. If it wasn't for its size, it might be considered the perfect street camera due to its silence.

    meanwhile, I don't have anything nice to show yet with it (just taking random scenes with it), but the sharpness is UNBELIEVABLE! My 35mm zeiss lenses can't hold a candle to the fujinon lenses.

    finally, the camera feels nice and all of the features are well thought out. It's a bloody shame fujifilm doesn't market this camera aggressively! It's simply a wonder to behold and use!

  9. #49
    analoguey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    935
    Images
    2
    So now that you've tested the camera, you're selling this camera off, right? On APug market? ;-)

    Sent from Tap-a-talk

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    So now that you've tested the camera, you're selling this camera off, right? On APug market? ;-)

    Sent from Tap-a-talk
    I'm gonna say......no

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin