Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,523   Online: 875

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is it a disease? Bought what I hope was a good deal.

I had bought a Yashica Mat 124G back in 2012 when I wanted to try out a cheap medium format camera. I figured I would stick to this as my medium format as I couldn't get anything affordable in my budget range, but recently I came across a listing on Ebay for a GF670w I had been eyeing for a long time and this time, it's within my financial capability to own.

After thinking long and hard (24 hours), I caved in and bought it. Now I am not sure if I had made the right choice. Surely I wouldn't need any medium format camera. Is this what they call buyer's remorse? I guess I could lessen the guilt by selling my Yashica but it would sell so little considering how low they are going on Ebay and this one I got in almost mint condition. It seemed a shame to sell it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Had the very same experience. I use 35mm and I had been looking for a fast wide-angle lens for a long time, even though I already own one. But I fell in the trap of "this is sharper". Well, I bought a new lens in the end, only to sell it back couple of weeks after. It was a good experience, I think I know better how to look for equipment I really need. What I´m trying to say is, don´t worry, we all make buying mistakes or misjudgements. And often we tend to have more than what we actually use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Medium format had me started with a YM 124G. It has been a really nice one, with no marks at all, and my GAS could not resist on it. A year after, me too got into buying a like new GF670w, and while caring for it perhaps too much for it looks, I have not enjoyed many rolls with it. It is that stupid fear of accidental damage to something you like too much.
    Then, a while after I have bought a like new Lubitel 2. It is by no means on par with the other two, but for just 10 buckazoids I had given no thought on it. I have to confess that this is the MF camera I have enjoyed more. Not caring much of what might happen to it, I have carried it almost everywhere and it did pretty well. Some time later it broke. No sorrow at all, for a fiver I got me another one and that keeps going.
    Selling the other two had crossed my mind many times, especially when being financially in bad shape, but recalling being sorry for letting beloved things go and not being able to buy them again put me back in place. Yes, I have two cameras that I do not use much, but I cannot let them go either.
    It is definitely a problem, possibly objects taking filling up psychological (emotional?) gaps, but...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have 4 x Olympus OMs in service at the same time loaded with Delta 400, FP4, Ektar 100 and Portra 400. Admittedly the cameras loaded with colour take quite a long time to finish the 36 exposures, but the B&Ws turn over quickly as this is what I mainly shoot. I also regularly take out a Zeiss Nettar 6x6 and a Mamiya 645, which are also both presently loaded and part shot. Moral - nothing wrong with having several cameras!

Shooter
    35mm
    Nothing wrong with owning several cameras if photography is your serious interest/hobby/relaxation.

I have several, 35mm and MF, bought over the years and all of which are used from time to time. My only fault is deciding which to take on photo outings...it's too easy to think "I'll take this one with slide film, and this one with colour neg. And, oh, I'd better take this one as well in case I want to take some B&W shots. And, oh, better just put the P&S digital one in the bag for any quick record snaps. And that reminds me, I'm trying out the shutter on that old one I've been given, pop that in as well ! "

Then I just get bogged down not knowing which to use!

I really try nowadays to take one camera with one type of film, and just concentrate on getting good shots on that ! Much easier to carry, as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I really try nowadays to take one camera with one type of film, and just concentrate on getting good shots on that ! Much easier to carry, as well.
    "Just one camera" is all I took on a recent trip up north - Still 10Kg of gear that I didn't want to go lugging up a mountain (but I did anyway).

dreamingartemis: Once you get the camera in your hand and start using it, any pangs of guilt will disappear and you'll marvel at the size of the negatives. After a while, you may get the hankering to try a larger format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. It takes your personal time and money. Me trying hard to concentrate on printing and willing to save and spend on paper and film.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well you can always sell the GF670 for whatever you bought it for.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's hopeless, you are well and truly addicted now, embrace it.

As for the GF670w it will be a nice complement to the Yashica, very sharp optics that rival 4x5 in image quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The YashicaMat did just what it was supposed to do - give you a cheap way to explore medium format and find out if it is for you. You discovered that you do like it and so bought yourself one of the best on the market. There's nothing wrong with this picture.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin