Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,487   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Giving up RZ67 for TLR

I own a RZ67 and it is a great camera, but I cannot bear its weight and the space it takes up in my bag. Moreover, I do lots of travelling, landscape, outdoor portraits and the like.

In the past, I have used a TLR (Mamiya C220) to great success. I am thinking of selling my RZ67 and buying a TLR. Can someone recommend me a TLR that is not only good for portraits but also worth ditching my RZ67 for? My budget is roughly about US$700-750.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sure the Rollei folks will jump in and I have a couple Rolleis myself, but I'd say go back to your Mamiya TLR's. A nice C330F Professional would be my first choice, but even the C220 would do just fine. Nice cameras, interchangeable lens, prisms and a whole slew of accessories. Plus, 1:1 close-ups with built in parralax correction to boot. Not as small or light as a Rollei, but much more versatile. Oh, I used to have an RB67 system and feel your pain! JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree - buy a C330s. I use mine for landscapes, close-ups and environmental portraits. The standard 80mm lens and the 55mm do me.
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Later Rolleicords...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In your price range a Rolleiflex 2.8 C, D, or E, or a 3,5E or F would be good, IF you can live with just a normal lens, perhaps keeping your RZ for when you need a different focal length. I use my 2.8E for almost all my landscapes, only occasionally using a MF SLR. For travel it's my Rollei 2.8E, or a diminutive Super Ikonta A folder.

Shooter
    35mm

bulks

The C330 is a great camera and will do what you need but it is rather bulky, too. I suggest you look at a Rolleiflex or Yashicamat with a 35mm insert for portraits. That gives you a 75-80mm lens with 35mm film, and horizontal framing. Just a thought. Personally I don't spend too much time in the field with a camera that is built more like a Sumo wrestler than a fashion model. (not svelte).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was a working wedding photographer I used TLR Mamiya's (C3, C220, C330F) and my boss used a Mamiya 67. I borrowed it for one wedding to see how it handled. It gave me a work out, just holding it, I returned to my TLRs with no regret.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I am leaning towards a Rolleiflex/Rolleicord because I'm hoping to try something new. That's not to say the Mamiya TLRs are no good. I remember the time when I created stunning images with my C220 which surprised even myself. People used to mistake me for a professional just by looking at my 12"x12" prints. However, I think I would like to have a go at a different TLR this time.

I'm not completely sure what the practical differences are between the numerous Rolleiflex and Rolleicord models, even after reading up on them quite a bit. Some people say that the Planar and Xenotar are unequalled, while others say the Tessar and Xenar are as good. Maybe some Rollei experts can help me with this? I would like a TLR with as sharp a lens as possible, and a possibility to change the focusing screen to a brighter one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used a Bronica SQ for 18 years or so. Back in 2010, I bought an RZ setup and really got into it for a while, shooting portraits. The RZ is really a tripod camera, especially with anything longer than a normal lens. With some of the RZ portrait lenses the depth of field can be razor thin, even at a decent f-stop. That being said, the RZ makes utterly gorgeous portraits, probably nothing better in this field.

Eventually I migrated back to the SQ, though, because I love to shoot squares. Squares have a lot of inherent advantages over the RZ format. The neg is almost as big, you get 12 per roll instead of ten (which makes it far easier to sleeve and contact them onto one sheet of paper), and you can easily crop to your preferred format. I only shoot squares and portrait format images - never landscape format. With a 6x4.5 you have to constantly rotate and use an eye-level finder, which is lousy for portraits. Film is so good that even at 16" a little cropping has almost no effect on grain or sharpness. Most of my negs gets scanned anyhow.

You save quite a bit of weight as well with the square format. The SQ with a 80mm lens, a few rolls and a Sekonic Flashmate meter isn't much at all in a small bag, certainly no more than my Canon 5D with a decent lens. I keep an extra bag in the car with the 110mm Macro and a 50mm, and extra film. Keep it light, keep it simple and have fun.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rollei 2.8 TLR, and I use a RB67 which I don't mind the size or weight even tough I'm handicape.

Jeff

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin