Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,687   Online: 932

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Vertical lines on negative Rolleicord IV

Hello everyone!
    I just purchased Rolleicord IV and noticed very strange vertical lines on my negatives. They are faint but after increasing contrast it's getting visible.
    What could be that? Light leaks? I cheeked my scanner and it's okay, pressure plate and rollers in clean and working condition. I'm attaching picture and will appreciate any input. Thank you so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0001.jpg  
    Last edited by Ohweis; 07-16-2014 at 11:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The stripes are very even across the frame, so it looks like a scanner issue to me. What scanner and software did you use? Do you have a shot from a different camera, scanned with the same hardware, software and with a large patch of deep blue sky? If so, bump up the contrast and see if the same artefacts show up. That should rule out a camera or processing problem. Also, did you process the film yourself or was it done commercially?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ohweis,
    You are the only one that can answer your question. Put the negative on a light box and look at it with a 4X or higher power loupe. If the streaks are in the negative then its most likely processing, if there are scratches on the negative then its the camera or film handling, and if the negative is scratch/streak free its the scanner.

Need a light box? Open your image edition program and select New image and use a White background with the image dimensions set to be as large or larger than the negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rotate the negative 90° and scan again. If the lines have rotated in the new scan it's the scanners fault.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic amateur View Post
    Rotate the negative 90° and scan again. If the lines have rotated in the new scan it's the scanners fault.
    You know when you read something and think, "yeah, that's obviously the most simple way".

:-)

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The lines are evenly spaced and not scratches. Not a camera fault, so they are either from the processing or scanner.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I rotated 90° my negatives and re-scanned them as Arctic amateur suggested and lines came again in vertical direction... Obvious scanner problem. Will take a look inside and probably clean the mirror. Thanks a lot everyone for all your input.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin