Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,047   Online: 817

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Are your school plans still a go? If so, I'd hang on to the stuff until you have a semester (or two) under your belt. Your interests will change, while there, and you might find yourself wishing you still had this stuff.
    Yea, at least I can use it in the enlarger, but still, 120 just makes more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    I say sell it while it still has some value. It will only go down as 70mm film disappears.
    That's kinda what I was thinking.

Another trusted member friend of mine told me that I should just keep it, that he's never sold any of his gear, and that I'll probably regret not having it, but I'm keeping the Mamiya camera just selling the back.

It's funny because, I think part of it is that the equipment is in such immaculate condition, and is the work of art in its design, and I'll probably never find something in such great shape again, the back looks like it was never used, I meticulous about my gear, it's always been kept in a pelican case, and came to me from NASA, that's right I got it from a NASA sale, so it was kind of something special, and it just kind of sucks that I can't have both, I also really just don't have the space for all this gear, and something has to give, and I don't want to be one of those people who has all this camera gear in boxes that's never used and so why not use it or lose it while it's still hot!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Gear is gear, museums are full of it. Its nice to look at, but are you running a museum?
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have said, sell it. It's better to have the money, even if it's little and put it aside to earn interest or pay off debts. Otherwise it's junk that seats around and you don't use, not to mention it just loses value as it ages.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    As others have said, sell it. It's better to have the money, even if it's little and put it aside to earn interest or pay off debts. Otherwise it's junk that seats around and you don't use, not to mention it just loses value as it ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    Gear is gear, museums are full of it. Its nice to look at, but are you running a museum?
    You've got me sold! Or you secretly want my nice stuff... Haha
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    Exactly! It's just stuff, inanimate objects which have no sentimental value, even if people try to assign it.

I'm going through all of my snowboarding stuff and selling all of it, since due to injuries I can't use it any more.
    You could argue that it has more sentimental value than your 70mm stuff, yet everything is going on ebay.
    I will just keep the memories and photos of the fun times I had.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can keep stuff till you die. Then it ends up scattered around thrift shops.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Evaluate what it is about 70mm that you value.

Determine whether you have a specific or likely current or future need for what 70mm gives you.

Determine what the likelihood would be of replacing in the future what you might sell today.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You've got me sold! Or you secretly want my nice stuff... Haha
    It took me too long to realise that simple truth. I have boxes of junk I need to sell and get rid off. Very often less is better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Stone,

I buy and sell equipment often. Usually cheap one, but anyhow - here is how I see it:
    equipment that is not used for more than 6 months - sell it. If you are using it - then it is not for sale.

On top of that goes rule (for me at least): "never sell any Leica equipment - you will be sorry, and later you will end up buying the same back with losses". I put this rule because I sold and later got again elmar 5cm f3.5 and elmar 90mm f4.

regards,

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pre SM (sellers remorse) is as bad as GAS...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin