Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,038   Posts: 1,560,688   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Pre SM (sellers remorse) is as bad as GAS...
    Maybe we should all look upon famous samurai Miyamoto Musashi:

Miyamoto Musashi Miyamoto Musashi > Quotes

1. Accept everything just the way it is.
    2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
    3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
    4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
    5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.
    6. Do not regret what you have done.
    7. Never be jealous.
    8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.
    9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.
    10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
    11. In all things have no preferences.
    12. Be indifferent to where you live.
    13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
    14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
    15. Do not act following customary beliefs.
    16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful. --> replace weapons with equipment
    17. Do not fear death.
    18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
    19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.
    20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
    21. Never stray from the Way.”

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...yamoto_Musashi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Maybe we should all look upon famous samurai Miyamoto Musashi:

Miyamoto Musashi Miyamoto Musashi > Quotes

1. Accept everything just the way it is.
    2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
    3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
    4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
    5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.
    6. Do not regret what you have done.
    7. Never be jealous.
    8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.
    9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.
    10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
    11. In all things have no preferences.
    12. Be indifferent to where you live.
    13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
    14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
    15. Do not act following customary beliefs.
    16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful. --> replace weapons with equipment
    17. Do not fear death.
    18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
    19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.
    20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
    21. Never stray from the Way.”

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...yamoto_Musashi
    It's all very anti consumerism which is the latest craze

I would agree with it, maybe except the last 2...
    And some of them it's all about the extent, I wouldn't go to extremes of some of the quotes...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    You can keep stuff till you die. Then it ends up scattered around thrift shops.
    My Father was a great hoarder ("that might be useful one day"), and, having had the job of clearing the house quickly when he died so that my Mum could move to smaller accommodation, I can relate to your comment !

Since then my wife and I have tried to be ruthless in getting rid of unused stuff, without too much sentimentality. We've had the use and pleasure of it (as you have with your 70mm gear), so sell it, let someone else enjoy or use it, and put the proceeds to what we want to do, or what interests us, now. Our kids don't have the same tastes and interests as us, so let someone else who appreciates it have the stuff now, save it being wasted when the kids don't realise it might have any value, and just chuck it in the skip !
    Last edited by railwayman3; 07-25-2014 at 06:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sell it all, expect a loss from what you paid for it ..
    don't dilute your efforts with more than 1 or 2 formats
    dilution is NOT the solution .. and if you are going back to school get your degree
    you might consider using the same equipment as everyone else ...

i have seen folks when i was getting my degree who on purpose used different gear
    they stuck out like a sore thumb ... and were roasted alive
    and that probably won't be good if you don't have a thick skin ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll agree on using the same equipment (or close) as others in the class. The idea is for the instructor to teach in a more-or-less standard fashion. With consistent/standard equipment, it will make the instructor's job easier and you will gain more from the experience.

For a completely random and arbitrary example, let us say everyone is using 35mm and you are using medium format, and the instructor is trying to teach something basic to photography (even if you already know it). Let us also assume the topic is one of those things that gets different results in different formats. This may make you a special case that has to be addressed separately, which will take more time if only for that reason, and thus slow the class. The idea is to learn and experience the concepts, you can always apply and extrapolate to your other equipment later.

As for selling your 70mm equipment, I'd not be in a rush; think it over a while. You may or may not feel differently in the future, and since this equipment is hard to come by, you want to be sure of your decision.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isnt the whole point of going to class to learn, for yourself?
    How's getting a format that everyone wants to use/is using vs a format you want to use help?
    Conformity for the sake of teacher having it is easy, or because everyone else's doing it, seems stupid - in higher education.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had some 70mm Techpan, a nice reel and tank and a back for my Hasselblad. I sold it because I felt it would be techy dabbling and techy dabbling does not help one make better photographs.

Always the golden rule, the most important image quality is the talent & vision behind the camera, everything else is a distant second or beyond.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have too much stuff. The reasons are probably familiar to many of you. I may need that some day. I plan to use that for my (insert name here) project. That's still good. I can fix that. That is just missing a part that's lying around here somewhere. Do you know how much that cost? That belonged to great uncle whatshisname. One of the kids may want it someday. It took me years to find that. I'll finish it when I retire. They were practically giving it away.

I'm making an effort to change that. I've sold off my Leica kit because I wasn't using it anymore. I will not bring home another enlarger. I am only buying gear I will use, I don't care how cheap it is. If I'm not using it and it has value, I'm selling it. If it has no value I'm either giving it away or tossing it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    I have too much stuff. The reasons are probably familiar to many of you. I may need that some day. I plan to use that for my (insert name here) project. That's still good. I can fix that. That is just missing a part that's lying around here somewhere. Do you know how much that cost? That belonged to great uncle whatshisname. One of the kids may want it someday. It took me years to find that. I'll finish it when I retire. They were practically giving it away.

I'm making an effort to change that. I've sold off my Leica kit because I wasn't using it anymore. I will not bring home another enlarger. I am only buying gear I will use, I don't care how cheap it is. If I'm not using it and it has value, I'm selling it. If it has no value I'm either giving it away or tossing it.
    I went through a period when I first got into large-format for bike ride, where I sold off a lot of my Polaroid gear, I just wasn't shooting Polaroid on the 4x5, it seems silly to be spending all this extra time setting up and taking images that were of low-quality grain, maybe interesting a little bit, but too expensive, it just wasn't worth it, I sold off all of my remaining 4x5 Fuji Polaroid film and just kept the 3.25x4.25 stuff, I have on pack of FP-3000B and a pack of expired Polaroid 690, i've been trying to find something useful to shoot it with, I specifically want a model shoot, but I just can't find the right model, I know that seems silly but at least with this stuff there is some kind of right model out there I know it, but I wish she would get here soon so I could get rid of this back because I don't need the back anymore once these two packs are gone. I'll keep one of the MamiyaRZ67 backs because they aren't worth very much and why not just keep one in case I run into some film for some crazy reason, but other than that I'm going to get rid of it all that I know for sure, and have no remorse about it. But the 70mm is all really good film, Tech Pan and fresh HP5+ that last one is the worst, it cost a lot and I had to fight really hard to get it made, and by the time it ended up in my hands I had moved on...

It just seems like a learning lesson, I just can't figure out how to learn it the less-hard-way.

I've pulled all the film from my fridge and freezer, I'll let it de-thaw safely and then go through it all.

Fun times, thanks guys. I think what I'll end up doing is just taking the gear with me, at least 70 mm stuff and using it on this wedding trip that I'm going on, and then when I'm done with that I'll sell whatever's leftover, seems like the best option?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Isnt the whole point of going to class to learn, for yourself?
    How's getting a format that everyone wants to use/is using vs a format you want to use help?
    Conformity for the sake of teacher having it is easy, or because everyone else's doing it, seems stupid - in higher education.

Sent from Tap-a-talk
    If you are to learn for yourself, wouldn't that contra-indicate taking a college course?

There is a reason most college courses require, for example, specific editions of a given text. True, many do not always follow that, and it can cause problems (been there, done that). There is a reason that college courses require students have a certain level of competency in the language the course will be taught in. That is how higher education works.

An apprenticeship, on the other hand, can work quite differently.

Would it be stupid for a student to insist on using color film when taking a course that will print on black and white paper? It can be done, but would create certain inhibitions to the process of learning in that particular class.
    Truzi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin