Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,475   Posts: 1,644,345   Online: 972

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Should I sell all of my 70mm gear and film?

Hey guys I'm posing this question to you.

Do you guys think I should sell my 70mm gear? When I first got into medium format, I really loved 70mm format, it allowed me to take lots of pictures all day without having to carry around a bunch of rolls, And it was really fun to use something so specialized. I spent a lot of time searching out and collecting everything I would need to process this film, I still got probably five or six rolls of black-and-white film and I think possibly one roll of the E-6. The black-and-white film includes 3 rolls of Kodak technical pan, I also have A bunch of bags of Techidol. I have a MamiyaRB67 70mm roll film back, A few canisters for loading your film into, and I believe the technical pan Rolls come with their own canisters as well so someone would get basically brand-new canisters to use. I also have of course they Nikkor 70mm developing tank that takes 15 feet or so or 5m of 70mm. I've also got some individual printfile sleeves for storing the negatives, so I've basically got everything you would need.

My question is for one should I just shoot this stuff and then sell off the equipment, It's kind of a shame that I collected all this gear and having used all the film yet, However I also need some money for my endeavors, and I'm just not shooting like I used to, I take much more time and take less images, And I'm shooting a lot of large-format. Now I know that I could use this film for some modeling shoots, But it seems a shame to waste the technical pan on the model when it's really something I should be using for landscape imagery to capture all the detail or large enlargement. Also got 50 feet of HP5+ that I picked up from the ULF special order in 2013, I almost forgot to mention that. The thing is if I want to sell it altogether I'm not sure I could get what I want for it considering how much I spent, but selling it off piecemeal it's kind of a pain. How much do you think I could get for it if I sold as a package? I know that the tank itself cost me over $350 the 70mm back for the camera costs about $200 the special order HP5+ costs in the realm of $180, and the tech pan seems to be going somewhere between $80 and $150 per roll.

That's $1,030 if my math is correct.

Do you think I can get that if I put it on eBay or try to sell it here? Or should I just tell it piece by piece? Or should I shoot it all first and then sell just the gear off? I guess my main issue with all of this is that it took me so long to gather all of this stuff up, By the time that I actually acquired everything needed to develop it all which was some of the hardest to find, I had basically almost started shooting in 4 x 5 large-format and stopped shooting medium format as much and I know that once I sell this stuff there's no way I'll be able to get it back, It's all in super excellent shape and it's such a shame to sort of lose these really cool items, But I also feel like the money could go towards something way more important and something that I'm actually using more often in my life.

Thanks to anyone who could give me some insight, This is a serious threat please no jokers, Just some really good suggestions and advice please, And thank you.

~Stone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At least use the HP5 and/or E6 for a modeling shoot. Crossprocess the latter if it's a strange emulsion like CDU?

I don't reckon you'll recover the equipment value (70mm film being a little hard to buy right now and your stated prices being higher than those on eBay) and I think you're dreaming on the TP pricing, but you'll get some value back from that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    At least use the HP5 and/or E6 for a modeling shoot. Crossprocess the latter if it's a strange emulsion like CDU?

I don't reckon you'll recover the equipment value (70mm film being a little hard to buy right now and your stated prices being higher than those on eBay) and I think you're dreaming on the TP pricing, but you'll get some value back from that.
    You're right with some of that, I'm basing the prices on what I paid two years ago, as far as the film is concerned I see one listed right now for $100 for a single can, So it's not completely unreasonable. Developing tanks are very hard to come by, Especially this one which is the daylight tank Version, I sold the other version which is a dip dunk for about $200 I believe just a few months ago. But the daylight version is much harder to find, and obviously much more convenient for those who don't own a dark room.

Well maybe I will shoot at least some of it, and then put the rest up for grabs and see if it will be bought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why are you asking us? Do you need a scape goat if you have remorse? What does it matter what others opinion is when it comes to personal decisions. Pull up yer big boy pants and make a decision for your own life. It's not like you need permission to sell or even keep anything, besides, in the end you are gonna do what you're gonna do.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    As you know I also own an 8x10 camera. I shoot 8x10 black and white and 4x5 color. I recently sold my Hasselblad because it was just sitting in the camera bag being neglected. I am no longer shooting medium format film and only occasionally 35mm slide film with a Stereo Realist. It's big negatives for me or digital for Ebay and snapshots.

It was pretty much a no brainer for me but I can always buy another Blad if I want one. I'd think real hard about whether you will ever want to use the 70mm gear again.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    As you know I also own an 8x10 camera. I shoot 8x10 black and white and 4x5 color. I recently sold my Hasselblad because it was just sitting in the camera bag being neglected. I am no longer shooting medium format film and only occasionally 35mm slide film with a Stereo Realist. It's big negatives for me or digital for Ebay and snapshots.

It was pretty much a no brainer for me but I can always buy another Blad if I want one. I'd think real hard about whether you will ever want to use the 70mm gear again.
    Thank you Alan, that's kind of what I was thinking, and to answer the other poster about why I need to ask other people, it's because I don't have enough"life experience" and wanted to hear if people regretted selling their stuff, or if it ended up being A smart thing for them to do. So thanks for answering that question, It does make sense, I'm not using the gear either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We all have regrets about decisions, but you just have to move forward and get over it. Lamenting over bad choices will prevent you from living.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    We all have regrets about decisions, but you just have to move forward and get over it. Lamenting over bad choices will prevent you from living.
    Point

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are your school plans still a go? If so, I'd hang on to the stuff until you have a semester (or two) under your belt. Your interests will change, while there, and you might find yourself wishing you still had this stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I say sell it while it still has some value. It will only go down as 70mm film disappears.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin