Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,416   Online: 814

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad film indicators

Hello,

I recently had to move a film roll from one back to other mid-roll (6 shots done) on a Hasselblad A12 back. I took the old back inside a dark bag and rolled back the film to the unexposed spool. Then, I loaded the film in the new back and fired the shutter with the lens closed till I reached the last known good frame. I however saw that the indicator on the new back did not move until I reached the "new" frame and just proceeded to the point where it looked like just 1 frame was shot. I always thought the film indicator depends on how many cranks had happened on the back, but it looks like that is not the case.

Can anyone explain how the internals work for the film indicator? I am now incredibly interested in this Swedish engineering.

Thanks
    This message has no signature. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mean the red indicator on the left side, where you remove the insert?
    I think it only senses the thickness of the roll. I'd guess it's action may be sticky on the second back.

But, why not just switch the backs?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It is only useful to distinguish a loaded back from an empty back. In a studio with a dozen backs you need to know which ones are to be emptied and reloaded.

If you open the back and fiddle you can see how it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think he's talking about the counter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No I was talking about the red strip indicator. Now I figured out how it works. I am amazed, how simple it can be, yet so elegant. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer
    This message has no signature. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you enlighten us -- why wasn't it working for you? The film indicator seems like such a simple mechanism, especially compared to the counter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It is simple and elegant if you understand how it works.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin