Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,665   Online: 902

Shooter
    Medium Format

Duraklad Series V Filter Info Needed

I have a Duraklad series V drop in filter that says "coated 0-2 15G Orange" on the side. Is this a real B&W filter, or a color correction filter? It looks orange, if that's any help. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a Vivitar #15 that's marked "deep yellow" and a filter guide saying the same thing(15=DY).
    The thing looks a lot like orange to me too.
    Nikon calls their orange a 056, B+W's is 040 but with a (16) in the description. I suspect the 16 is the Wratten number.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    #15 is the Wratten designation for a yellow contrast filter,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Its a real B&W filter. Its possible that Duraklad had their own numbering system.
    If it is a Wratten equivalent number then there is 0% light transmission from 400 to 500 nanometers, 1% at 510 nanometers, 90% at 600 nanometers and 90.8% transmission at 700 nanometers. The Wratten #15 (G) dominant wave length is 579.3. http://www.karmalimbo.com/aro/pics/f...%20filters.pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh boy. Thanks! To look at it, it could go either way. I guess I'll give it an extra stop of compensation and go from there. When they called it Duraklad, they weren't kidding. I'm not sure what they used, but the metal that surrounds the filter looks like the day it was made. Nary a sign of oxidation or discoloration.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Duraklad": I did not realize that hint before your posting. Even had to use the dictionary.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The old Kodak designation is: G dark yellow.

The current Kodak Wratten designation is: 15 dark yellow.

Hoya labels its dark yellow filter “Orange” on the packaging and the filter is marked “O(G)”.

B+W uses: dark yellow 023.

All of these designations refer to the SAME filter.

When you see a dark yellow filter marked, “15G”, or a red filter marked of 25A or 25(A), this is the maker’s way to supply both the older Kodak letter designation and the current Kodak Wratten designation together in compact form.
    Last edited by Ian C; 07-26-2014 at 08:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I guess I'll give it an extra stop of compensation and go from there.
    Give it one and a half extra stop if you use normal panchromatic film and shoot in daylight.
    J. Patric Dahlén

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin