Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,119   Online: 1066

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 6 frameline accuracy...

Hi, I have been using my Mamyia 6 with just the 75mm for about a week now and from what I understand, the frame lines are 100% accurate at closest focus and 83% at infinity.

Do these same variances apply to the 50 and 150? I just took delivery of the other two lenses and have not had a chance to use them yet, would love a heads up on this before I take them out for a spin...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The film shows quite a bit more than the framelines do at normal and long distances. Mine seems to give a little more image at the bottom of the frame, compared with the extra you get on the top and sides. Its a rangefinder, and none of them have truly accurate framelines. My Leicas seemed similar.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Chris, I am about to go play with it a bit and see what I get. For the record, my M3 with a 50mm is pretty darn a accurate in terms of representing the actual image area with the frame lines.

I am only really concerned with these variances at landscape distances, I would hate to keep cropping off some 10-15% of precious neg space consistently.

As aside, the differences in size between the Mamiya lenses and Hassy CF lenses is huge, that 50mm is nice and small!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Thanks Chris, I am about to go play with it a bit and see what I get. For the record, my M3 with a 50mm is pretty darn a accurate in terms of representing the actual image area with the frame lines.

I am only really concerned with these variances at landscape distances, I would hate to keep cropping off some 10-15% of precious neg space consistently.

As aside, the differences in size between the Mamiya lenses and Hassy CF lenses is huge, that 50mm is nice and small!
    I shot with a pair of Leica M6 bodies, and they have smaller framelines than the older M bodies. I usually do crop a bit on all four sides of my Mamiya 6 images. It doesn't bother me because I often do perspective corrections in Photoshop, and that forces some cropping. The extra neg space allows me to do the corrections without losing the image area I originally wanted.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I shot with a pair of Leica M6 bodies, and they have smaller framelines than the older M bodies. I usually do crop a bit on all four sides of my Mamiya 6 images. It doesn't bother me because I often do perspective corrections in Photoshop, and that forces some cropping. The extra neg space allows me to do the corrections without losing the image area I originally wanted.
    Ah, yeah...I only wet print. If perspective is critical, I just use my Hasselblads and of course, 4x5...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 07-27-2014 at 08:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin