Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,393   Online: 886

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matchat
    My question to you therefore is: can I produce similar pictures whilst having more control over the camera ?
    Hello Matthew. Don't know how much Holga's cost over there but here in the states, it costs about < $20.00. Will it kill you to spend that much on one just to see what the hubbub is all about? I think its a pretty good investment to make considering all the other options.

As far as control, yes, like Leon, I like to be able to control it. I don't like light leaks. A lot of people do but I don't find it that fascinating. Its a dang light leak! You'll find a million resources on the web on how to control that aspect. But with a lot like other stuff, you'll have to try it and get used to your film speed, how you develop it, subject matter, parralax problem, etc, etc. You'll probaly find the same problems if you get something of the 50's, 60's vintage. I too have an Agfa Isola and an Agfa Clack but they are different. For one thing, the shutter is really slow. But still the same problem of parallax, shutter speeds, film, developer, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, thanks for the advice. After seeing the article upon Holga use it has inspired me with more confidence and no doubt I could always try holding a ND filter in front of the lens in bright situations to prevent overexposure. I think then that I probably will try one although I might perhaps get a folder first - those Agfa's seem alright and I notice they are quite easy to find on ebay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All this discussion (and, I must admit, seeing Leon's beautiful prints at the Keswick Gathering!) has made me wonder...

I have an old hand-me-down Lubitel II TLR in the back of a cupboard somewhere. How would images from that compare with those from the Holga and other mentioned here?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Frank - i find the lubitel is too good to be bad ... if you catch my drift. It has a multi element coated glass lens which can be pretty good, if you can get it focused ok (always a prob with a lubi) - it has poor quality build though so is quite toyish in that manner. One of my lubis does vignette to some degree, but the other doesnt at all so it;s hit and miss. I reckon if you are interested in the toy look, plastic is the only way to go .. holga or diana I'm afraid IMO

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback, Leon. I'll give it some thought!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, of course, if you *want* the Holga "look" (in terms of light fall-off and field curvature, not necessarily the light leaks, film scratches, and so forth), you could save $10 to $15 by prowling thrift stores and finding a box camera or similar. Many of these had the "features" that give Holga images their cachet, and cost anywhere from $1 to $10. Almost all of them take either 120 or 620 film (620 is easily obtained by respooling 120 in a changing bag or darkroom -- and some will take a 120 spool with the flanges trimmed flush with the surface of the backing paper for supply, though even those usually need a 620 spool for takeup; you can also buy "resized" 120 that fits 620 cameras for around $5 to $6 a roll), with a few taking 127 (still available in one emulsion each of B&W, C-41, and E-6, also $5 to $6 per roll).

I've got a couple of these in 6x9; they have the soft corners and a trace of light fall-off, but they're actually too good to be Holga; if I masked them to 6x6, the images could pass for Lubitel (except there's no trace of light fall-off inside a 6x6 frame).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you can afford it, go buy a baby speed graphic with a roll film back and you can use everything from magnifying glasses to plastic lenses salvaged out of thrift shop Polaroids.

Polaroid lenses will usuallly cover up to 4x5. I have one I use on my speed graphic. They are usually about 75mm and f11

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Michael Grecco, in his Art of Portraiture book, talks about this. He liked the Holga/Diana look, but he also needed to deliver shots on time and on budget dependably. So he showed example setups on paying clients, where he used his trusty 'blad and still achieved enough of a Holga look to make his art director happy.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    There is a Holga filter available for Photoshop.
    Just think, for a few thousand dollars in computer equipment and software you can make pictures that are almost as good as a 12 dollar film camera
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well put, Mr. Williams.
    http://www.eyecaramba.com
    http://gordisdead.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin