Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 777

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    haha! I'm preparing for an expensive habit. I have downloaded a light meter. I dont need a loupe with my mamiya? i've seen people use them with view cameras? also is it a case of the bigger the magnification the greater the likelihood of sharpness?
    i'm concerned about the accuracy of the view on the mamiya screen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by emani View Post
    haha! I'm preparing for an expensive habit. I have downloaded a light meter. I dont need a loupe with my mamiya? i've seen people use them with view cameras? also is it a case of the bigger the magnification the greater the likelihood of sharpness?
    i'm concerned about the accuracy of the view on the mamiya screen.
    No, you don't need a loupe with the Mamiya. The waist level finder has a fold down magnifier to help you to fine focus.

I used my RZ mostly for portraiture. I had no issues with the focussing screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k.hendrik View Post
    4.692 kg. I changed the 250 into 180sb with spacer, film not included

Oops; forgot to mention that a loupe was hanging on the AE prism finder. BTW Emani; you're still talking gear, go shooting your RZ-brick and show us some results

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had both the 50 ULD and the non-ULD 50 at the same time. A good copy of the non-ULD is still a great lens, far better than anything you will get from 35mm. That said, the ULD version IS better and I ended up keeping that one.

All the lenses for the RZ are great, really. The film format helps some, sure, but in general Mamiya didn't skimp on these lenses. They were major $ back in the day, none under $1k I believe, some as much as $8k+. The 50ULD was something like $2250+ as I recall. now you can find them under $400.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    The 50ULD was something like $2250+ as I recall. now you can find them under $400.
    Under $400 is a real bargain. I sold my mint- example a few years ago for $500 which was the same price I had paid for it. I thought the lens was worth every penny of that!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you really really care about architecture then saving up for a small LF kit is a good idea, but you're right to get in some experience first. Don't worry about movements, just get out there and make some great photos for a year or two first, and get to know a couple of films really well. I hope you're doing your development at home - if not, you need to start!

120 rollfilm is far, far cheaper than 4x5 sheet film, especially in colour. Think $3-5/sheet (4x5) instead of 80c/frame (6x7), plus $5-$10/sheet developing costs instead of $5-10/roll (typical lab prices for colour). It doesn't matter that you can buy a basic LF setup for under $500 when you can blow $50 of film in an afternoon and have no keepers to show for it...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Polyglot is right about film costs being more for large format. You are going to burn some film at first learning a view camera. It's the only way to learn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    K.hendrik, Polyglot, Alan Gales, Ed Sawyer Thanks. My mamiya is in the post with 2 lenses. got a Polaroid back and film ready as i want to see results asap. itching to get started. but i realise it's all a learning process and mistakes are how i'm going to learn. i like people and buildings so i'm hoping between the 110mm and my 50mm i've given myself the best chance.
    Need to start working a few more shifts. Might post some of my initial results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I often shoot architectural and mostly use the 110mm, however, it is too long for indoor shots where you can't walk away from things. I bought the 65mm LA (also floating lens) and think this is one of my best lenses. I'd recommend that, but it's a havy bugger ( < 1kg) and around the same size as the 180mm. Not complaining though, it's always in my trip kit.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My 6x7 Medium Format Photography:
    http://roger-wilco-66.deviantart.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin