Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,616   Posts: 1,647,674   Online: 999

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

new ro medium format, which lens for mamiya rz67?

Hi, I am totally new to medium format and film photography but have decided to switch to medium format film. After research, i have bought a mamiya rz67 pro II and the 110mm lens. But I am also very interested in architectural photography so i want a wide angle lens too. I have read that the 50mm uld lens is the best for this camera. But does the uld aspect make much difference compared to non-uld? and is the 65mm so noticeably narrower or poorer in quality?
    I'm an amateur but I really want to improve the quality of my output so if it makes a huge difference I will wait and save for the 50mm uld.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an RB and use a C type 65mm that does great work. I have a 180 mm KL lens does great work too. The first lens I got for the camera was a non-C 90, which I still use and enjoy.

The image quality differences between them are not monumental.

The 65mm lens you speak of, as long as it is in good repair, can probably make better photos than most any of us could take.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to APUG BTW.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by emani View Post
    Hi, I am totally new to medium format and film photography but have decided to switch to medium format film. After research, i have bought a mamiya rz67 pro II and the 110mm lens. But I am also very interested in architectural photography so i want a wide angle lens too. I have read that the 50mm uld lens is the best for this camera. But does the uld aspect make much difference compared to non-uld? and is the 65mm so noticeably narrower or poorer in quality?
    I'm an amateur but I really want to improve the quality of my output so if it makes a huge difference I will wait and save for the 50mm uld.
    Most roll film reflexes aren't really suited to architecture, if like most of us you'd like to keep your verticals upright. You can get a 75mm shift but it's not that wide - and I'm not sure how useful the limited amount of movements are in practice. I find the 50mm shift for the Mamiya 645 a capable architecture lens - the that's a whole different system - though not too expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you buy a wideangle for the RZ (50mm or 65mm), you really must get the floating-element versions (ULD or M-LA, respectively) or it's just not worth shooting film that big. The non-ULD 50mm produces images that are softer in the corners than what you can get with a top-notch 24mm lens on 35mm film (1/4 of the film cost per frame!), which IMHO makes it a complete waste of time and money.

The 65mm M-LA is definitely sharp; sharper than the 110/2.8 (at least, my copies) and it is easily the equal of the 50 ULD for image quality. The field of view... it is what it is. I find it's much easier to shoot with the 65mm than the 50mm without worrying nearly so much the camera angle, composition and weird distracting/distorted things in the corners. If you've come from 35mm and want the equivalent of a 24mm lens, you need to buy the 50 ULD; if you were happy shooting with a 28mm or 35mm lens, then get the 65 M-LA. Don't get the non-M-LA version; it's not as bad as the non-ULD 50mm but it's definitely not as good as the M-LA.

If you're expecting to do perspective correction etc, then the RZ isn't the right camera. You'd be better off with a view camera, even if it's a 2x3" with a 6x7cm back on it. A 4x5" with 6x12cm back can be a good compromise between ultimate quality+flexibility and low per-shot costs. Such a setup will be bulkier than the RZ67 and much slower to use, but certainly lighter to carry around once you get 3 lenses into the backpack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Everyone. All the responses are giving me a lot to think about. I think a view camera/large format is the ideal but realistically I'm less likely to get the benefit if the set up is so big so have decided to compromise and see what results i get with the mamiya (i was looking at the shen-hao and other large format cameras). i like the potential flexibility with this camera. I'm hoping the step increase from my micro four thirds camera to medium format will give me better photos.
    i realise it will be a while before i learn how to get the best of it and that it's the person not the camera that makes the photo but i want to improve my chances.

Got to process all this info. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here you go. This is Large Format Photography Forum's home page. A little research is good for the brain.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

I used to own an RZ67 with 50mm ULD, 110mm and 180mm lenses. It's a great camera. I sold it to help fund my interest in large format. It was the right move for me but not for everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ace. Thanks again! This is all a lot to think about, just waiting for my mamiya to get delivered now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LF systems are not necessarily physically larger (at least, packed) than an RZ67 system, unless you're using sheet film. If you're shooting rollfilm in an LF camera, I would expect a simple getup (body and 3 lenses) to be about half the size and weight using a 6x12 system than an RZ67, mainly because RZ lenses are huge and heavy compared to LF lenses. But it is much, much slower to use, with absolutely no chance of taking candid photos.

For example, I use a Kata 3N1-30. In it, I can fit either:
    - RZ67, 3 lenses (e.g. 65, 110, 250), 3 backs, a few 5-packs of film, maybe a hotshoe flash or two
    - Toyo 45A, 3 lenses (90, 150, 240), dark cloth, LF accessories (loupe, spotmeter, step rings, etc) and 12 film holders
    ... and the 4x5 setup is noticeably lighter.

If I shot 6x12 instead of 4x5, then I could fit more stuff (spare film, flashes, etc) in the bag than I could with the RZ system.

However, the RZ is so much more convenient that if there is basically any possibility that I will need to take people-photos, then I will use the RZ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by emani View Post
    Thanks Everyone. All the responses are giving me a lot to think about. I think a view camera/large format is the ideal but realistically I'm less likely to get the benefit if the set up is so big so have decided to compromise and see what results i get with the mamiya (i was looking at the shen-hao and other large format cameras). i like the potential flexibility with this camera. I'm hoping the step increase from my micro four thirds camera to medium format will give me better photos.
    i realise it will be a while before i learn how to get the best of it and that it's the person not the camera that makes the photo but i want to improve my chances.

Got to process all this info. Thanks again.
    +1 to polyglot, LF system would be more compact than an RZ - especially in bulk, not necessarily in weight - even a monorail would pack in better, but would weigh more than the RZ system
    So, depends on what you wanna carry - once you actually have the RZ system to behold, you'll probably understand the size of it better. If you are adding more lenses to that system, each lens will be at least as big - more likely bigger than the 110 f2.8. (I have to keep reminding myself of that everytime I think of buying a new lens or lens accessory for my RB system)

Also, you could use a Micro 4/3rds on an LF back - with the right adapter.

I have both an LF monorail and an RB system, and I prefer the RB for any hand-held shooting/portraiture shooting - especially where quicker setup is needed - I am not really a fan of using it on the tripod much.

Oh by-the-way, no matter whether you have shot good 35mm film/digital cameras before or not, the 6x7 format quality is gonna blow your mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin