Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,104   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Help, Pentacon 6 Metered Prism Battery door stuck

Help,My Pentacon Six Metered Prism Battery door is stuck, does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you everyone!

$metered prism for cameras Pentacon Six_57 by a.rodriguezpix, on Flickr
    Last edited by aRolleiBrujo; 07-30-2014 at 01:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Define "stuck"?
    The cover won't unscrew? Try putting some Zippo fluid or similar around the edge and let it soak into the screwthreads, see if that helps.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Define "stuck"?
    The cover won't unscrew? Try putting some Zippo fluid or similar around the edge and let it soak into the screwthreads, see if that helps.
    That seems like a good idea, I'll see if that helps! Do you think olive oil is safe to use? xD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't recommend olive oil, besides being rather thick, if it seeps into the electronics and doesn't get cleaned properly, it might end up smelling rancid. Lighter fluid is good because it's nice and light and penetrative (baby), and seems to dissolve a lot of grease-like substances rather well. I've cleaned a lot of shutters and focussing helicoids with the stuff. Barring that, there are dedicated 'electronic cleaning solvents' that could also work (but harder to come by and more expensive).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't recommend olive oil, besides being rather thick, if it seeps into the electronics and doesn't get cleaned properly, it might end up smelling rancid. Lighter fluid is good because it's nice and light and penetrative (baby), and seems to dissolve a lot of grease-like substances rather well. I've cleaned a lot of shutters and focussing helicoids with the stuff. Barring that, there are dedicated 'electronic cleaning solvents' that could also work (but harder to come by and more expensive).
    Dr Croubie, Thank you for the thorough explanation, I will do this immediately! I just pray, that the light meter will work, when I find the Wein battery replacement for it! I assume it is a battery issue, as it, the meter needle, will not move an inch!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the battery-door is jammed shut, it's quite possible that it's held in there by battery-corrosion, so even if you do get it off it may need a bit more cleaning inside to work. The Kiev prisms are cheap and cheerful at least

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the battery-door is jammed shut, it's quite possible that it's held in there by battery-corrosion, so even if you do get it off it may need a bit more cleaning inside to work. The Kiev prisms are cheap and cheerful at least
    I surely hope not, or, I will end up sending it back, and wasting more time not shooting film! Thanks for all the info!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What a excellent example of design art ! I used Kiev 88 and its battery contacts - may be made from zinc - always , everydays corrodes. And key is the best way to remove the layer with sharp edge but it can bend the contacts also. Such an excellent design , such a heavy piece and use of lots of materials and such a weak point. I think these parts made never for working but as handsom accessories. When the velvia introduced to the market at early 90s , I used with 80mm regular lens and it was one of my best shots ever. Try velvia with your camera and go to greens , not direct light and WOW . I had a 250mm and it was ultra good , ultra good. Ah !
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    What a excellent example of design art ! I used Kiev 88 and its battery contacts - may be made from zinc - always , everydays corrodes. And key is the best way to remove the layer with sharp edge but it can bend the contacts also. Such an excellent design , such a heavy piece and use of lots of materials and such a weak point. I think these parts made never for working but as handsom accessories. When the velvia introduced to the market at early 90s , I used with 80mm regular lens and it was one of my best shots ever. Try velvia with your camera and go to greens , not direct light and WOW . I had a 250mm and it was ultra good , ultra good. Ah !
    Mustafa Umut Sarac, Thank you very much, for he suggestions! I can't wait to try that film, when I get better at film usage! Have a good day, and happy photography!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere on eBay are special toolsets designed for removing lens elements that fit in those two holes on the cover; they were drilled for that exact reason.

They are cheap usually.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin