Switch to English Language Passer en langue fran็aise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,477   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Being offered with a Bronica S for 130€. Is it worth it?

I am being offered a Bronica S for 130€. Is it really worth it? What should I look for before buying it? How can I verify that it works? I have never had a Bronica before, it is just GAS again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The first question is what are you getting with it?

Shooter
    35mm
    It is being offered with one film back, a Nikkor 85mm 2.8 lens and its case. Is it worth it?

Shooter
    35mm
    The way I decide on this sorta thing is to look at ebay sold items in similar condition. If the lowest sold price is 10 % lower than the item in question I pass on it unless I really want one or am willing to pay an education fee to try it for a while.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I heard that the S2 models had issues that were fixed with the S2a, how is the "S"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only S2A is worth if you like mechanical camera, S and S2 is unreliable, especially if you dont know about the gear transport condition.
    130 EUR also not cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will pass on it then. Thank you for the advice. It looks nice, but had absolutely no idea.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've personally owned 2 Bronica S2's and they were far from unreliable, and the Nikkor lenses are very sharp. The S2 gets a bad rap because of the brass gears in the advance mechanism, both of mine were heavily used by several previous owners and still worked great. The S is just a cheaper version of the S2 without a removable back. For what it's worth I've seen several sell through dealers for over twice the price your looking at. If it's in good working condition that is indeed a good price.
    Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkor-S 35mm F=2.8
    Gossen Luna Pro F

Shooter
    35mm
    I will get a look at it tomorrow. What should I look for to make sure it works? Does the shutter operate without the lens so that I can see it flipping at different speeds?

Shooter
    35mm
    The S does in fact have a removable back like the later S2 and S2a, I must have been thinking of the C. Fortunately this makes things easier, remove the back by pushing in on the darkslide and pulling it off. You can now wind and fire the shutter, if the speeds seem good and the aperture is stopping down you should be good aside from possible light leaks. You cannot wind and fire the shutter with the back attached and no film loaded, the advance knob will just spin freely. My first S2 had a light leak through the dark slide slot, I was able to disassemble the back and replace the spring loaded seal. My second S2 was leak free.
    Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkor-S 35mm F=2.8
    Gossen Luna Pro F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin