Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,047   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan... where did you miss the OP's reference to 6x4.5cm? That's closer to 4x5" or 6x7cm ratio than 6x9cm. What does 1.2, 1.22 or 1.25 have to do with the OP's question? Plenty, because many people prefer to select normal FL base on the longest image side vs. the diagonal and there's some merit in that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Dan... where did you miss the OP's reference to 6x4.5cm? That's closer to 4x5" or 6x7cm ratio than 6x9cm. What does 1.2, 1.22 or 1.25 have to do with the OP's question? Plenty, because many people prefer to select normal FL base on the longest image side vs. the diagonal and there's some merit in that.
    Revisit the original post. 645 was an aside. The OP's question was about 6x9.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Forget 'normal' on 35mm...the 50mm usual number is longer that the diagonal of 24x36mm frame dimension. 'Normal' is much too variable, as I have seen manufacturers of 135 format cameras with 45mm, 50mm. 52mm, 55mm and 58mm lens FL, all called 'normal'! Forget that the "normal" lens on 6x9 is in the 100mm-110mm, too.

Instead, relate FL to the frame short dimension, for a precise geometric equivalence!
    1. With 55mm (or 56mm) frame height limited by film width of 120/220, the 90mm lens is 1.64x the 6x9 format frame height.
    2. 1.64x the 24mm frame height of 135 format yields 39mm, so 90mm on 6x9 format would be about the same Angle of View as using 39mm lens on 135 format camera in terms of Angle of View captured within the frame.
    3. Using 180mm on 6x9 (3.27x the frame height) would be like using 79mm on 135 format.

Using the short dimension of the frame completely allows you to compare any format, in spite of the fact that the aspect ratio is 1:1, 1:1.2, 1:1.25, 1:3, 1:5 depending upon the camera model you pick up!
    Last edited by wiltw; 08-03-2014 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    somebody put this comparison shot of nearly wall formats known to man up on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31007239@N06/6818977997/
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    somebody put this comparison shot of nearly wall formats known to man up on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31007239@N06/6818977997/
    While this shows what using 75mm FL sees in the increasingly larger frames of the different formats, it does not address the OP question about "equivalent AOV comes with what FL?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah the ground glass on my Linhof has 4x5 and 6x9 frame lines. I wanted the option to use movements like swing, tilt, rise/fall etc. along with the option of not having to shoot on 4x5 sheet film.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Ascertaining the aspect ratio and the 35mm equivalent in lens is all fine and dandy, but you need to bear in mind when you compose on that large 4x5 ground glass that you are not using the entire image. You are already cropping down to 6x9cm, and it makes zero difference what ever lens you decide on for standard, the image you capture is pre-cropped. to fit the back. I hope you have some guide lines to figure where the 6x9 is going to be when you trip the shutter. Honestly, I seriously considered a 6x9 back for my 4x5, but came to the realization that is was a waste of time and film. If you really want that size negative, get a dedicated camera for it. Now, if you were talking 6x12, that might be another story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just trying to figure out what angle of view
    I'm not sure what a 'crop factor' is but Chapter 14 of the Horseman VHR manual (available on the Butkus site) lists the angle view of a number of popular focal lengths for both 6x9 and 6x7 format Horseman rollfilm backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like ONF's multiplying the long dimension X 1.25. Simple for the likes of me.
    It's just an approximation and there's no life threatening consequences involved.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin