Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1156

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I Think I Want A Fuji 690

I have the GW690III. Love it. The counter on the bottom goes by 10, so if it says 500 there's been 5000 shutter activations.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On the GW690 it counts every time the shutter release button is pressed (each press advances the counter by one tenth, so ten presses advances the count by one). Usually that will equate to shutter releases, but if you open the back and play around then you may add phantom counts to the total.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    this is what the manual says:

1. Using the shutter actuation counter.
    Your camera is provided with a 3-digit shutter actuation counter in the bottom which will tell you how many times the shutter has been used so that you will know when the camera will need maintenance. It counts 10 shutter actuations as 1: that is, if it shows 150. the shutter has been actuated 1,500 times. after reaching 999 ( 9,990 shots) it will return to 000 with ten more shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I left 35mm for 4x5 a couple of years ago and love it except for toating a tripod everywhere.

Im considering the 690 for the 6x9 neg and the ability to hand hold it with a medium speed film, maybe 400.

Thanks

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have several Fujica 690 cameras, as well as the 670 model.

Mine are the older, non-fixed lens models.

Along with my Linhof 617, the Fuji 690 is one of my go to landscape cameras.

The 690 + 100/3.5AE + Auto Up lens is also one of my portrait camera choices, along with a Rittreck 66 + 80/2 lens.

The Fujis are very easy to use, reliable, and very good optically.

Texsport

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very, very appealing........ Looking........ Anyone have a situation where a 690 could not be repaired because of lack of parts? Big concern of mine......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm someone who used one and was not thoroughly enchanted with it. It is MASSIVE - this is not some toss-in-the-pocket rangefinder. The shutter makes this weird pinging noise when it actuates- instead of a quiet 'snick', it goes 'Pping!". And unlike my Contax G2, the lens barrel intrudes noticeably into the viewfinder. It takes some getting used to. Run some color film through one if you can borrow one before buying and see how you like what it does - I found it to be too contrasty a lens for my taste. These are just personal observations, so take them as such- the opinion of one individual. Your mileage may vary - you may love it, be indifferent, or even loathe the camera. I'm largely indifferent - it does produce nice big negatives and the lens and the overall build quality are excellent, but I found it to be unsatisfying ergonomically to use, and too big to carry around practically on a daily basis.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I own a GW690III and am quite pleased with it. Simple and selfcontained RF that shoots 6x9 negs.
    It is one of the few options of modern 120RF with a larger MF (6x6+) without breaking the bank.
    People compare it to the Mamiya 7 but it is unfair as the M7 has a much higher market price. For a M7 kit you could get 2 Fujis or just spend the differential on film and gear!
    I got it for a good price so I am ok about the peculiarities the camera has.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Your mileage may vary - you may love it, be indifferent, or even loathe the camera. I'm largely indifferent - it does produce nice big negatives and the lens and the overall build quality are excellent, but I found it to be unsatisfying ergonomically to use, and too big to carry around practically on a daily basis.
    The points you mention are a very objective observation. Whether it breaks the likeness of the user depends of the particular person.

I find particularly amusing the size issue and how different groups perceive it. Some (think LF users) are very pleased because it is like a P&S. Others (35mm people) say it is brutally huge.

Ergonomics wise, initially I gripped my left hand as I do with 35mm cameras, but it was awkward... Until I found a way of holding it which is quite comfortable and fits well. I don't know how to describe it in written word however.

I haven't used it yet around much people but it does take a lot of attention. Practicality of the size limits mobility indeed.
    I saw an ad of the Fuji where it was described as a "portable large format" camera, quite adequate definition.

Hopefully this next week I get to do a day trip with some friends so I can burn the loaded Portra. And I have found a nice bandolier bag that seems it will go well for carrying it on this kind of ocasion.
    Last edited by Prest_400; 08-14-2014 at 05:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos (written on my phone)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't forget to consider buying from ebay and from Japan, I have seen many great deals!

I know someone who is selling a 690III, 90mm lens, excellent, clean camera, lo miles. PM me if you are interested.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin